The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fumes in my Garage/Basement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin98

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2004
Easton, Pennsylvania
Hey guys I need some help figuring this out. Ever since I have been parking my car in my Moms garage there has been alot fumes throughout the garage and filling the next room over in the basement and my car. The garage and the basement room have a door between them. BTW, its a strong smell, and it gives my mom a headache almost instantly?

At first, I thought it was battery fumes because I accidentally left my gauges on last time and they drained my entire battery. So I took the car out on monday for a drive and made sure the gauges were off after that. My mom called me today, wednesday, and said the fumes filled the garage and basement again, and also the inside of my car. But she didnt smell anything yesterday, tuesday. What could this possibly be? I dont think its gas, it doesnt smell like gas to me or her.

Here are the things I have been considering.

-The battery, its located in the trunk, but its just sitting in the battery box with no lid on it. I just dont think a battery could give off enough fumes to fill two rooms.

-The gas, I only have one gallon in the tank, the gas light is on.
I removed the entire emissions system from the car, and there was one hard line right by where the stock fuel line comes into the engine bay. I was told not to cap the line because it vents the pressure from the gas tank, so I just put a rubber vacumm line on it and bent it facing downward so nothing can fall into the line. I also replaced the entire fuel line from the tank to the rail with ss line, I cant find any leaks.

-The fire exstinguisher I have inside my car for emergencies might have a leak?

-Or its from letting the car cool down (shut off, not running) inside the garage with the garage sealed up, maybe its left over exhuast fumes? I have a 3" turbo back with no cat.

For any one of these things to fill an entire one car garage AND fill the entire basement with the smell seems highly unlikely to me. Im just looking for any help / ideas. I told my mom to air out the garage and my car, then block the door to the basement from the garage to keep the fumes in the garage. I told her to give it a day or two and see if it still smells, if it does, then its not exhuast fumes from letting the car cool down inside. If thats not it, Im going to pull the battery out and put it outside along with the fire ext.

Any ideas on what else it could be?

If you still had your catalytic converters you would have less/no hydrocarbons. They smell bad and can cause headaches due to the chemicals involved. Since you aren't running at the ideal 14.7:1 fuel ratio this would make your catalytic converters less efficient. Well in a way it does. You see 14.7:1 is not the ideal ratio for your engine, it has everything to do with the catalytic converters. You have rare metals inside acting as catalyst to the hydrocarbons combining them into less harmful molecules. I don't remember specifics but one type of catalyst works better with a richer fuel mixture and one works better with a leaner fuel mixture. 14.7:1 is the "inbetween" magic number that has been determined for length of life and overall effectiveness of the catalyst. I hope this helps you out. If you could get your fuel mixture leaner at idle you would cut down on hydrocarbons. I would bet that you have raw fuel building up inside of your exhaust system. This buildup combined with the heat allows the gasoline to change state rapidly and mix with the combusted molecules resulting in harmful gasses. I hope this all makes sense to you because it doesn't to me.

Well I was under the impression that even though I have a 6 bolt swap in my 2g, I should still be running 2g fuel pressure at 43.5psi. Which is what I have my AFPR set at. Should I lower the fuel pressure until I see my A/F gauge start to bounce around?

Im sure it wouldnt be a problem If I was still using the stock fuel system, but mine is upgraded.

Here is what I have.
- stock 450cc injectors
- stock fuel rail
- -6an ss line from the tank to the filter
- fuelab high flow filter
- -6an ss fuel rail inlet and outlet
- Aeromotive AFPR

Go here to see everything
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260127

I was told to run 43.5 psi, so thats what I did.

Any input on this would help.

congratulations!!! have been bobbling this thread around in my head checking back time to time trying to think of something to help you out ... was just as baffled as you ... glad to see you found out what it was .. lets cross our fingers;)

-Or its from letting the car cool down (shut off, not running) inside the garage with the garage sealed up, maybe its left over exhuast fumes?

Yes... especially if you're running rich. The extra fuel will smell the place up real quick.

I actually think its a mixture of several things

1. running rich
2. the ss fuel lines
3. not having a charcoil canister, the gastank vent line is going right into the atmosphere

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back