The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Fuel issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMormonFuzz

Probationary Member
May 15, 2012
Shelby, Ohio
Car: 1998 eclipse spyder gs-t all stock 70,000mi on original motor

Info: car has been sitting in garage since 2003 we put a new fuel pump in it in 2004 and it has been sitting ever since...decided this would be the year to get it out and start enjoying it...car was completely out of gas sitting in the garage put a charger on the battery put 5gal of fuel in it to get it running...car started idles very well for and hour I drive the car 10miles to the next city over run very well...shut car off at bar...

Issue: car will not start back up fuel gauge reads no gas but there has to be at least 7gal in tank..car turns over just seems like its not getting fuel...

Question: what could have went wrong...it was running good I shut it off not it doesn't run at all?

Sorry about the posts of the same thing. I don't know why it did that

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check first to see if you are getting fuel to your injectors. I pull them out and place them in cups and give the engine one quick turn to see if they shoot our fuel. If not I would check your fuel filter, I always tested them by trying to blow through the in side and see if you can feel coming out of the other side. Idk if this is the "proper" way to do it, but it works. Keep systematically checking fuel components all the way to fuel pump. Very possibly something could have gotten clogged.

Do you know where the fuel filter is located at on my type of car?
bottom half of the passenger side firewall.

Confirm you are/are not getting fuel to the rail by disconnecting the return line after the fuel pressure regulator and running the hose from the fpr to a bucket and crank.

Would any of you know if the sending unit it the same out of a non turbo eclipse and would work in a turbo eclipse?

First did you drain and flush the fuel tank prior to refueling it? alot of times gasoline will gum up in the tank, filter, and lines, as well as injectors. I would suggest draining the tank, remove the injectors have them professionally cleaned and tested, go up under the car and take a good look at both your feed and return fuel lines, check for damage and leaks maybe dipping your fuel pressure. At the very least replace the fuel filter, its probably all gummed up by now. Be sure to really check the fuel tank, after awhile rust can get everywhere. you could have cracked a seam in the tank, or the rubber on the filler next could be dry rot. Do you smell excessive amount of fuel around the car?

First did you drain and flush the fuel tank prior to refueling it? alot of times gasoline will gum up in the tank, filter, and lines, as well as injectors. I would suggest draining the tank, remove the injectors have them professionally cleaned and tested, go up under the car and take a good look at both your feed and return fuel lines, check for damage and leaks maybe dipping your fuel pressure. At the very least replace the fuel filter, its probably all gummed up by now. Be sure to really check the fuel tank, after awhile rust can get everywhere. you could have cracked a seam in the tank, or the rubber on the filler next could be dry rot. Do you smell excessive amount of fuel around the car?

+1:thumb:
Given that fuel turns into a gum/varnish over time and you said the car ran fine for an hour or so, it may have pushed some of the gummed up crap through the lines. I suggest the aforementioned and get a fuel pressure gauge and see what it is at the fuel rail. A professional cleaning and fuel filter replacement may be in order... at least the fuel filter. Happy motoring!

Would any of you know if the sending unit is the same out of a non turbo eclipse and would work in a turbo eclipse?

I would start by pulling a fuel line at the fuel rail or fpr, have a little container ready and turn the key to on position, the pump should prime and squirt fuel. That's the first thing I would do.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what years and models I could interchange gas tanks...I have a 98 eclipse spyder Gs-T and I have a buddy who has a tank out of a 95 eclipse Gs-T coupe and what I'm asking is if it will fit?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back