The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fuel Related Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeLzKaos

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2010
Englewood, Florida
Ok first I want to thank every one that can give me any kind of info on this cause I am really lost! I have a 95 GS-T. I am having some issue with the fuel. When you try to start the car all it did was crank. I would try again but i would pump the gas pedal and then it would start. So I thought it would be a clogged fuel filter or a pump going bad. I replaced the fuel filter today and the pump. Now when I try to start the car I am not getting fuel flowing untill after I stop cranking. It spits out a half of cup of fuel. The car was running all day untill i changed the pump and the filter. I have checked to see if any of the lines where not. I even ran a toggle switch to kick the pump on to prime the lines back up cause I wasn't getting any fuel pressure to the rail. Once I ran the toggle to kick the pump on (I didn't cut no lines just tapped into them) I had fuel flowing to the rail, But the car still wont kick over. I do have spark as well I have tested that. So now I am completely lost! If any one can help I would be really greatfull!!

I forgot to add that I also put the old working fuel pump back in and I have the same results.

Cam angle sensor? Believe that has something to do with controlling the Fuel injector timing.

OP,

If you're manually overriding the fuel pump, and getting fuel with adequate pressure to the rail, and the car won't run, the issue isn't the fuel system.

How do you know you aren't getting fuel during cranking? Are you watching the cup while the car is cranking, or just turning the ignition to on, not seeing fuel flow, cranking the car, walking back around and seeing fuel still flowing?

The 2Gs might be different, but i'm almost positive 1Gs don't prime with the ignition on, they prime for a few seconds while cranking.

Cam angle sensor? Believe that has something to do with controlling the Fuel injector timing.

The car would still run, even with fuel injectors firing on closed valves.

More importantly, if the CAS was off, it would mess up the base ignition timing.

I Had the fuel line disconnected to see if I was getting fuel. I had some one else crank the car while I was catching the fuel. While cranking the only time the fuel cam out was right as soon as they let go of the key. Then the pump sounds like it prime and spits out a little bit of fuel.

I Had the fuel line disconnected to see if I was getting fuel. I had some one else crank the car while I was catching the fuel. While cranking the only time the fuel cam out was right as soon as they let go of the key. Then the pump sounds like it prime and spits out a little bit of fuel.

Well that's odd...

I know that the way the 1G's work, are as soon as you start cranking, the fuel pump kicks on. It doesn't prime when you turn the key.

But yes, as stated above.. if you're getting spark and you're getting fuel the rail with the toggle switch installed... it's not a fuel issue. Sounds like something electrical.. or timing.. =/

I don't know like I said I drove the car all day before I changed the pump. As soon as I changed the pump it started doing this. I didnt eliminate the whole relay. I just used the toggle switch to prime the pump. If I leave the toggle running then the pump is loud and just keeps pumping fuel. So if i cut the toggle off I let the crank pump the fuel. Can it be a relay going bad or something?

***UPDATE*** ok I have got the car started now, but ran into another problem. For some reason I forgot to put the o ring back in the fuel pump. well now it starts and cranks but putters really bad like it starving for fuel. If I pump the gas it starts to pick some but it wont go no more then 3 grand and stays puttering. any ideas will be great!

****UPDATE*** Ok i fixed it all this time LOL! When I put the old pump back in the o ring wasn't in so it was not getting the fuel like it should have. I put the o ring in and the fuel was being delivered right, but the pump was no good. I put the new pump in with the o ring the right way and she started right up! even better then before! so thanks for the help guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back