The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Fuel hanger identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I recently bought a extra hanger and I have never see this before previously. If someone can help me out here. Can I plug the hole? Use it for a larger feed/return? Then I can cap the oem feed. I just dont know how it would fit in tank. Mainly just need identification. I'm talking about the hole with the two studs.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

that looks like its for a fuel vapor sensor. what year did that come off of? I don't think they started putting vapor sensors on until 2003

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's what I was guessing but couldn't find pictures of one assembled. I saw a hanger listed on ebay as 95-97 which was odd but all the 98-99 looked the same. I guess I need to find that sensor to plug that hole. Thanks

Wow, definitely not buying one just to plug a hole. I actually don't need it. Any ideas to plug it? I might try and just use that hole as a feed line and cap the factory one.

Only a guess but maybe put a bolt through it (from bottom up) installed with some kind of gasoline sealant? It's going to have to be air tight to pass the gas tank vacuum testing the system does when it tests for leaks if you care. Of course without the sensor I suppose that's a moot point and you may get a P0450 CEL anyway if you have a 98-99.

I just today found a "fuel resistant" "Gasket Dressing & Sealant" made by Permatex (#85420) at Advanced Auto Parts you might try. Suggest using a stainless steel bolt/washer installed head down (inside tank)..

Last edited:
Thanks for the part number. So when using bulkheads, I assume that sealant should also be used? I wondered why I have a gas smell and have stat o seals and rubber washers to help but to no resolve.

For that gas tank cover, the main large factory rubber gasket MB400461 (same diameter as cover and has rubber pegs that fit into cover to hold it on straight) w/o sealant is what is used. You put some soapy water on it upon installation (FSM specifies) and I've had no problem doing it that way (of course my rubber gasket was in great condition). I'm just guessing about using the sealant as I'm going to try it on a fuel fitting leak on my motorcycle and thought perhaps it may work on your bolt idea.

I put some of that sealant on a piece of paper and let it dry over night. It's blue and remains sticky like gum. Then I put some gasoline on it and it seems to handle it ok. I wouldn't emerse it in gasoline all the time but for sealing that bolt in the cover I'd think it would work good. Don't use it to seal the entire cover though - only use the factory rubber gasket w/o any sealant. It appears to be used for a permanent seal and is way too sticky for sealing the cover (you'd never get the cover off w/o destroying any rubber gasket and probably never get the sealant off either).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back