The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Flywheel loose? what do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastlaser

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
glendora, New_Jersey
Well starting the car up, idles at like 1500-2k very noticeable vibration, no grinding just hardcore vibration. When i press the clutch in it changes pitch of the vibration. Clutch dosent seem weird to press in or anything, but something is vibrating. Im guessing the flywheel bolts have started to come loose? What do you think? Clutch has been in the car, and it just started. Its a 2600 with a street disk/ act streetlite flywheel

Certainly possible they loosened up.
I had it happen on a Fidanza that I torqued with Blue thread locker.

Now I always go to 100 lbs or so on torque, and use a very small dab of red thread locker.

Broke off the dowel pin in the crank on mine when they came loose, cause I probably drove it 10 miles vibrating to hell. That was a bi*** to drill out. It sent so many vibes through the crank it loosened all of the damper bolts on the other side. Damper was about ready to fall off when I started looking for a blown motor.

Did you install the flywheel properly? 100ft/lbs and red loctite?

Are you running balance shafts? Might be worth a look to make sure the bs belt is still good.

Seth

Its a built motor, no balance shafts, installed properly. I just wanted some opinions. Trans is coming out today we shall see

well got it out, seems that the act street disk decides to be stupid again. I need to put up the money and get a real clutch aka quartermasters twin disk. The center spline alignment hole decided to off center itself and was wobbling. I hate act. Disk has 1700k on it

The what? What, did you shear the hub from the friction disk?

the center hole of the disk, where the input shaft goes though. They use like a metal insert on the disk when they make the disk. It un centered itself aka moved to one side. So when it was spinning it was spinning like a off balance tire. I wish i didnt have more inportant things to spend money on because i would buy a twin disk today, but 1000 dollars will have to be spent later. I was thinking of getting another street disk, or maybe a sprung 6 puck. Car dosnt get driven that much. I mean in 8 months i put about 1700k on it

Missing the tranny to engine block dowel pins?

definatly both there. I will take a picture of the disk, but met up with alex of dogboxracing and gave him my trans with some other random trans parts i had laying around. I was thinking maybe i bent the input shaft but i wont know till he gives me a call. I was also thinking maybe something with the fluidamper i have, but that thing has less then 400 miles on it, and i havent heard of them going bad as of yet. Who knows damn dsms. I guess when you make power this crap happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back