The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Finish help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

from the oil pressure switch, the oil flows thru this hole (see pic) to the head. When you have the head off, make sure that there isn't anything blocking the hole.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

=========================================

==========================================

if your throwing belts and the AC/power steering belt is tensioned correctly, you might have a bad harmonic balancer. Make sure it isn't starting to separate.

Im just going to pull the head but this time i should probably get new bolts and gasket again. Especially if its the wrong gasket. I am really curious to see if that passageway is blocked. I appreciate the writ up for the gauge. It would make sense if the oil path is blocked then the belt might be bouncingor something or i over tensioned it. Or my tensioner has something wrong. The end of the bolt seems to be hittin the block. I will have the head off this weekend prob.. replacement will take longer. I guess i coud punch a hole in the gasket and reuse the bolts but i did have it machined so i might as well do it right. Maybe mor important to get new bolts and maybe punch a hole in the gasket. Take it apart and take my time to put it back together right. At least i will know if its blocked. Thank you for the information once again.

Actually i m replacing tensioner and the oil pressure sensor. I disconnected a power line for an amp that was stolen. It may have been shorting. Im not sure but from other posts that could be a problem. Wouldnt cause oil issue but it could just need to get hot once....

I finally got around to pulling the head and the gasket seems to be correctly positioned. That is what i was worried about or i have the wrong head gasket? The other thing i suspect as i removed the studs is the difference in length. I had longer ones in the center? Should those be one the outside. I have the ogerhaul manual but i have not checked it yet. I will research the location of the longer head stud bolts...

Attachments

• 20191018_204518.jpg
    20191018_204518.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 65
To your previous point of the oil flow... does this look like the right gasket with such a small hole..

Attachments

• 20191019_212230.jpg
    20191019_212230.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 63
So upon removal of the head i found several things. The head bolts were not all as tight as they should have been. My engine mount is broken, the rubber part that bolts to the passenger side. I was missing a bolt into the block from the engine mount. I really suspect the little key thing that centers the head on the block, it is a small cylindrical section the seats in two places and stick out above the surface of the block and i only had one. The one i had was not on the oil pathway side so i suspect there could have been blockage of a small amount. If that hole was shifted a milimeter it would be half blocked, I suspect this was my issue and i going to get a second little thing and i will make additional repairs while im at it.

I have taken plenty of time but I think i have resolved the oil leak. I put poly-eurithane on my engine mount. I put the second alignment dowel thing in place. I have a noise like a bearing inside near the clutch like something continues to spin once the engine stops. The thrust bearing maybe. I am very happy to have apparently resolved he oil leak. I only started it for a few seconds so well see.

Ok well there was some oil underneath it this morning. I am going to replace the oil pressure sensor which I should have as it was leaking before. I will investigate the noise in the transmission area as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back