The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust Dilemma....HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2004
D/FW, Texas
I have searched far and wide, but just can't figure out what exhaust I should go with. Hoping for some advice...

Here's the thing:
I want good performance, decent sound, and as close to STOCK APPEARANCE as possible in a 3" exhaust. Call it a personal preference, but I really HATE the look of the Apexi, HKS, etc pipes. Not to offend anyone, as I know they are great, performance-wise...Just not my personal taste.

I saw this: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...uct_info&manufacturers_id=15&products_id=3939
and really like the look of it...However, I doubt Flowmaster's "chambered" mufflers would work well on a Turbo, performance-wise...Plus, the description says "FWD Only". Any way I could customize it though? As I haven't seen anything else that I really like, honestly. :(

:confused:

Are there any alternatives that I've overlooked? So far I've looked at all the major import sites that offer exhaust (Greddy, Apexi, HKS, to name a few), and they all have that "Folgers Can" appearance that just doesn't do it for me, as I want to maintain a mostly 'sleeper' look with a decent, low sound.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the site and can't come up with anything.

Can some of you post pics or specs on your exhaust setups that LOOK stock, or nearly so? Call me picky.......because I am! LOL.

Thanks in advance for your input.
This is a huge dilemma for me. ugh. I'd really appreciate any advice ;) :dsm:

If you want good sound AND performance you might have to settle for the coffee can look.
Have you considered custom pipes with a universal muffler?
find a good exhaust shop (not budget muffler) most shops will bend pipe for a price.
If i were you i would try the flowmaster because it will probably give excellent sound but performance will be increased but much.
:thumb:

www.kteller.com and you can get a good price and a dual outlet Magnaflow that looks somewhat like a stock muffler. I like mine. Mark

Here is what I did for my 3 in mandrel exhaust. I got all my parts off of www.roadraceengineering.com. They have all the stuff you can order to build you one. The parts I used was 2 - 90 Degree mandrel bends, 3in In and 3in out Magnaflow Exhaust, and a stock like tip thats a 3in inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlets. They look alot like stock. I painted mine black to help out even more.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also put in a 3in resonator to help quite things down abit.
Here is a litte thing they did to help you out some. Its all pics, but you can get the ideal. Plus it will save you a ton of money vs a bolt on cat-back. Most mufler shops wont charge that much to put it on.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/1gawddiyexhaustpics.htm

Thanks much, guys. I was beginning to lose hope that I would find a good exhaust that didn't look/sound like total Rice. LOL.
I guess I will just assemble a few different pieces, and take them to a local exhaust shop for construction.

The Buschur 3" setup looks nice....Looks like it will be a "Frankenstein" exhaust system for me! LOL.

Thanks again ;) Any other suggestions, keep 'em coming, also :)

:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back