1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Exhaust Dilemma....HELP!

Posted by femmeDSM, Aug 17, 2005

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    I have searched far and wide, but just can't figure out what exhaust I should go with. Hoping for some advice...

Here's the thing:
    I want good performance, decent sound, and as close to STOCK APPEARANCE as possible in a 3" exhaust. Call it a personal preference, but I really HATE the look of the Apexi, HKS, etc pipes. Not to offend anyone, as I know they are great, performance-wise...Just not my personal taste.

I saw this: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...uct_info&manufacturers_id=15&products_id=3939
    and really like the look of it...However, I doubt Flowmaster's "chambered" mufflers would work well on a Turbo, performance-wise...Plus, the description says "FWD Only". Any way I could customize it though? As I haven't seen anything else that I really like, honestly. :(

:confused:

Are there any alternatives that I've overlooked? So far I've looked at all the major import sites that offer exhaust (Greddy, Apexi, HKS, to name a few), and they all have that "Folgers Can" appearance that just doesn't do it for me, as I want to maintain a mostly 'sleeper' look with a decent, low sound.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the site and can't come up with anything.

Can some of you post pics or specs on your exhaust setups that LOOK stock, or nearly so? Call me picky.......because I am! LOL.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    This is a huge dilemma for me. ugh. I'd really appreciate any advice ;) :dsm:

2. b166r

b166r Proven Member

Joined Mar 2, 2005
    Edmonds, Washington
    If you want good sound AND performance you might have to settle for the coffee can look.
    Have you considered custom pipes with a universal muffler?
    find a good exhaust shop (not budget muffler) most shops will bend pipe for a price.
    If i were you i would try the flowmaster because it will probably give excellent sound but performance will be increased but much.
    :thumb:

3. black92_tsi_awd

black92_tsi_awd Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2004
    Yates City, Illinois
    I've got a full Buschur Racing 2.5" exhaust on my car. No coffee can look and sounds good, no ricer sound!

3" systems are available.

I got it here: http://www.awdnot2.com Good guy, he'll set you up!

726  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.270 @ 111.100 · 1G DSM
  4. sweet97

sweet97 Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2004
    auburn, New York
    www.kteller.com and you can get a good price and a dual outlet Magnaflow that looks somewhat like a stock muffler. I like mine. Mark

5. bus

bus Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2003
    Alma, Arkansas
    Here is what I did for my 3 in mandrel exhaust. I got all my parts off of www.roadraceengineering.com. They have all the stuff you can order to build you one. The parts I used was 2 - 90 Degree mandrel bends, 3in In and 3in out Magnaflow Exhaust, and a stock like tip thats a 3in inlet and dual 2 1/2 outlets. They look alot like stock. I painted mine black to help out even more.
    dualexhausttip_small.jpg
    I also put in a 3in resonator to help quite things down abit.
    Here is a litte thing they did to help you out some. Its all pics, but you can get the ideal. Plus it will save you a ton of money vs a bolt on cat-back. Most mufler shops wont charge that much to put it on.
    http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/1gawddiyexhaustpics.htm

femmeDSM likes this.
  6. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Thanks much, guys. I was beginning to lose hope that I would find a good exhaust that didn't look/sound like total Rice. LOL.
    I guess I will just assemble a few different pieces, and take them to a local exhaust shop for construction.

The Buschur 3" setup looks nice....Looks like it will be a "Frankenstein" exhaust system for me! LOL.

Thanks again ;) Any other suggestions, keep 'em coming, also :)

:thumb: