The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Driveshaft, or rear axle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
Well I just got my talon running and driving since I bought it in october... I rebuilt the trans, put new front axles in, new front wheel bearings, trans mount etc. Everything is great except there seems to be a wobble under hard acceleration mainly in 1st and second. It seems to only happen once the car has been driving for a little and even then it's more or less random.

It 'feels' like the right rear tire is wobbling as if it were a bad CV joint but i'm not sure. I jacked up the rear and pulled and poked at everything and spun the wheels. The CVs both seemed tight and rolled freely, bearings and ball joints are all tight as well :confused:. It could be the driveshaft but again when I put it in all the joints seemed fine, no excess play etc. How tight should these center bearings feel? There is some give in them but that's to be expected being rubber mounted and all :confused:. Not really sure where to start, I really don't feel like shotgunning the rear axles as it's only a 3 bolt and I didn't want to spend any money on it...

Does it feel like something is hitting the bottom of the car?

I should have also explained this doesn't happen in 3rd or 4th under accel, at high speeds it's fine, only load...

To me it feels like the right rear wheel is bouncing but I can't tell.... it could be the d-shaft bouncing around in one of the center bearings :confused:

Yeah it could be one of the driveshaft carrier bearings is bad. Does it do it when you launch the car?

well it's a new clutch and rebuilt trans so I haven't launched it, but yes if you hammer it in first sometimes it will do it, sometimes in second as well. How much give should the center bearing rubber have?

It could be one of the two; but in my experience, I have seen more of these symptoms from blown axles. Usually the outer CV cup would be damaged.

Hmm, well I inspected it and everything looked and felt ok. I agree with you it could easily be the CV but I don't know how else to check it other than replacing it (shotgunning).:(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back