The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Difference between Bosch OEM and Universal O2 Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Tao

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2003
Atlanta, Georgia
So anyone know what the difference is? Is the Universal any less effective than the OEM type?

the OEM should come with the wire harness you can just plug right in. The universal im pretty sure you have to splice in with the current wires.

I just replaced mine with the universal type. It requires you cutting off the oem connector leaving about 5 inches of wire on it and using their special screw on connectors. Remeber you can't solder oxygen sensor wires becuase that is where it gets it's fresh oxygen supply to compare with the exhaust gases.
It's the same sensor as the oem type just without the connector.

92redman said:
Remeber you can't solder oxygen sensor wires becuase that is where it gets it's fresh oxygen supply to compare with the exhaust gases.
QUOTE]

Please explain, if you don't mind.

Sure, an oxygen sensor is like a battery. It uses a chemical reaction to produce voltage. The chemical reaction is made by comparing the oxygen content of fresh air to that of the oxygen in your exhaust gases. In order to get the fresh oxygen supply, it draws in the fresh air through the wires. If you solder the wire, then oxygen can't go down the wire and it will not function properly.

well you guys may not be wrong about the universal bosch, but i just bought a Bosch specific for my 1g 2l turbo and they had it. Plugs right in, 90$ with tax, cant go wrong. bosch makes car specifics so just get one of those.

Twizzle said:
well you guys may not be wrong about the universal bosch, but i just bought a Bosch specific for my 1g 2l turbo and they had it. Plugs right in, 90$ with tax, cant go wrong. bosch makes car specifics so just get one of those.

Yeah, but I got the universal for $63 with tax.

dogpoop said:
92redman said:
Remeber you can't solder oxygen sensor wires becuase that is where it gets it's fresh oxygen supply to compare with the exhaust gases.
QUOTE]

Please explain, if you don't mind.

In a "standard" oxygen sensor, also known as a Nerst cell O2 sensor, the outside air sample comes down through an air gap where the wires extend into the sensor housing, or through side vents in the case as found on many Bosch sensors. The wires themselves aren't anything special and can be spliced and soldered just like any other wire.

http://www.jackaroo4wdclub.com.au/sensor.jpg

http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/o2.gif

WTF are you talking about!!!! I would HIGHLY recommend Soldering and heat shrinking the connections on the universal unit!!!(If you must get a universal). Wires from the o2 sensor do not carry oxygen! WTF. Remeber these are extremly sensitive sensors that genrate there own voltage(less then 1 volt). If you make a bad connection your screwed. How is the less then 1 volt signal going to make its way through? Most of the time on small connections voltage drop across the connection should be no more then .1 volts. Assuming you had a .1 volt drop across the connection what would be a perfect a/f ratio .450 volts the ecu would see .350 instead so it would try to richen it up until it saw on average .450. So the ill effect would be that the engine would be running richer then it should be. Get the OE style o2 sensor. Simple install. No ill effects. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back