DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)
My name is R.J and wanted to start documenting the start of my 1998 Eclipse RS build. I picked up the car for $500.00, as you can see from the photos below the car had been sitting under a tree for about a year. Previous owner got the car from a friend and the car had a lot of performance upgrades so he basically took all the performance parts and put most of the stock parts on this eclipse and let it sit.
Update: Heres some pics of the car finally at home and being washed off a bit and the interior cleaned up. Spent a few days looking for replacement transmission cables and saw they run for about $200.00 used on eBay. Ended up going to pick your part and picked them up for $7.00. Got them installed and transmission is connected and shifting. Going to start the body work this upcoming week once some supplies arrive in the mail.
Pulled the fenders and bumper off to start the bodywork and spraying primer onto these pieces. The front bumper had 2 major cracks that i had to fiberglass and need to finish off with some fiberglass filler. Fenders have been primered and are currently being block sanded and having the filler work done to it. Also washed the inner fenders with some dawn soap and just scrubbed the area and was surprised how clean it came out.
Update: Got the whole front end in primer and was able to save with a headlight restorer kit. Pretty happy with this update. Time to move towards the doors and get the whole rest of the car then moving to the wiring and then engine.
Another update, got the passenger side all primered, going to pickup the side skirt pieces I’m missing later tonight. I was able to find the rear backseat privacy liner at the junkyard today, some missing trim pieces and finally got the tach plastic I was missing. Interior is now 100% complete
Was able to get the car turned on! Finally got everything installed in the engine and it turned on the first try! Needless to say my son was excited .
also finished up the primer work I’m getting the car primered now time to block the body.
On a test drive ran into the transmission not wanting to shift untill any gear but first. I had replaced the shifter cables but now it won’t move at all..I’m afraid the transmission might be gone. Thinking of picking up another transmission at the junk yard while I attempt to rebuild this one.
So had a few free hours to work on the car yesterday, turns out one of the shifter cable retaining clips popped out which caused the transmission to come out of gear and not shift properly.
5 mins later car runs smooth! Will be buying new bushings for then shifter and engine side in a week or 2 which should stop all play with so ever in the transmission.
Next thing I did was go through the engine bay and removed all the extra wiring the car had. HID wiring, Sub Wiring etc.. has a nice little pile of wires I pulled and that in turn fixed my issue of popping fuses and got my gauges and all lights working finally.
Have not been able to take this car for a complete drive as of yet... just a few drives for a block or 2 before something brakes ...
quick vid of the car running... right after this video the recently replaced ac/ps belt just fell apart.. not sure what happened.. so currently at a stand still... debating if I want to pull the engine to replace gaskets and seals and redo the timing belt as I’m not sure the last time it was done.
So I have gone through my 2nd set of shifter cables, I guess these were already on there way out when I pulled them from the donor car in the junk yard. Thankfully I had another set. Added in some upgrades bushings for under the hood and car shifts smooth!
also finished primering the car. Not sure why it looks like the passenger door is dented but there’s no dent at all. It only looks like that when the sun hits the door like that it’s so odd. Just need to add on the side skirts and body is pretty much done.
Thats the plan, got a complete timing kit that im going to install, I was contemplating replacing the head gasket while i got the engine out but never done a head gasket before so not sure if i want to tackle it this time around.
Got the engine pulled out and started to remove everything from the block and got the transmission off.
The transmission was missing 1 bolt and 2 of the bolts that were on were nearly all the way off, when I removed the clutch this part of the clutch was blocking the flywheel bolts, had to pry it off with a screwdriver.