1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Crazy violent shaking in suspension @ 40ish mph

Posted by freshlane, Sep 26, 2007

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    Over the past few days I have been having a problem with my car. A few days ago I was driving at around 40-50mph when I felt my steering wheel become a little loose, it was really wierd because I do not have power steering, then all of a sudden my steering wheel started shaking violently kinda like my wheel was about to just fall off. I pulled over and poped the hood. The trans mount bolt had back out somehow. So i took the car home and put it back in and tightened the nut down. I didn't think that it was the bolt because it had not backed out too much. So today on my way to work it started to do the same thing. It started shaking violently at around 40mph. I thought my car was going to end up in a ditch. I have no clue as to what it can be. When it comes to suspension I do not know much. It started happening after I got two new front tires put on. I do know what unbalanced tires & an out of alignment car feel like and the shaking is nowhere close. Any help would be appreciated.

469  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1slo1g

1slo1g Proven Member

Joined Sep 21, 2007
    Syracuse, New York
    some times if the shop over tightens the lug nuts they will become loose check them just to make sure

2K  11

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    I checked the lugs. I also loosened them and put them back on.

469  0

manual · 1G DSM
  4. brodiedehass

brodiedehass Proven Member

Joined Sep 21, 2005
    Millersburg, Ohio
    Lift each wheel up and wiggle the wheel at 12 & 6 position ( compared to a clock) and then at 3 & 9 position. There shouldn't be any slop in them. Any movement should feel solid.

I would also take each wheel off and roll them on the ground to see if there is any deformities or bulges in the tire. While out of balance will cause a vibration but not as bad as you are describing.

223  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    I'm currently at work so i'm just tryin to get as much info as possible. If it shakes in the 3/9 position what could it be? and is it shakes in the 6/12 what could it be?

469  0

manual · 1G DSM
  6. Mack

Mack Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    3/9 most likely a tie-rod, but could possibly be wheel bearing, 12/6 wheel bearing or ball joint. At that point you would need to investigate further to narrow down the suspect part.

7. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    Okay, thank you guys very much for your help. Once I get home I will check it out and report my findings.

469  0

manual · 1G DSM
  8. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    OKay...wow. I raised the front of my car and immediately noticed the problem. My strut bolt was missing. I put a new one in and now it drives great.

469  0

manual · 1G DSM
  9. JWoodley

JWoodley Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2002
    Middle Of Nowhere, Alabama
    Look at the inside of the rim from the underside of the car. You may have bent a rim.

663  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2006
    Windy City, Illinois
    I will check that once I get out of work. Thanks

469  0

manual · 1G DSM