The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cranking Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two4 Stroke Her

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2006
Cliffside Park, New_Jersey
So after doing some searching i have not found an answer. When cold the car cranks very fast and starts with no problem. After driving around for a couple of hours and shutting off the car, it has a slower crank. After driving some more and shutting of the car, it will barely crank and sometimes i even need to use the jump pack. After all this when i get home and leave it in the garage over night, car cranks fast again in the morning with no problems.

Battery reads 13.1V with car off and 13.9V(Slightly Low) with car running.
Its a new battery and a new ground terminal, there is no corrosion and terminals are tight.
I also noticed recently i get belt squeal when i start it and i saw some rubber shavings on my driver's side motor mount... is my alternator dying or could this be another problem?

. Maybe after driving for a bit taking the belt off the alternator and cranking it to see if it is any different would answer your question, hope this helps

. Maybe after driving for a bit taking the belt off the alternator and cranking it to see if it is any different would answer your question, hope this helps

Hey man i appreciate the help, but i dont think its a good idea to start the car without the alternator.

anyone else any other suggestions?!

That half a volt doesnt seem like alot but when you throw in a 12v heater a 12v cd player and anything else it does kill the battery. If you got over 12 volts with engine off means battery is holding the charge alternator just isnt pushing what i needs to be.

could be bad starter bendix. Heat soak kills starters over time. Common problems on older SBC but same concept. The extra voltage from the jumper pack will help engage solenoid this could be why it starts with a jumper pack. My buddies 88 camaro does this he has to let it sit for a few hours or it wont start. Take the starter off and have it bench tested if its original this is probably the culprit. I dealt with this alot when I worked at Oreillys

Thanks for the input guys, i will try the alt n starter, n get back to you! thanks again for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back