The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Could it be brakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic84

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2005
Fresno, California
hey ppl,
I have a problem and i need help. Whenever i drive,i can hear a metal-metal touching sound coming from my wheels..as soon as i hit the brakes,it goes away. This only happens sometimes. any idea what is wrong?
any help appreciated.:thumb:

that could be the brakes, but it could be alot of other things too.

Your best bet would be to get the car on jacks ASAP to shake down the suspension and check everything out.

I had the same problem after I did my tranny turns out I just bent the dust sheild on it ever so slightly and it started to rub the rotor so that is something to check but definatly dont fool around and put it off if there is any chance it could be your breaks.

Good luck,
Brandon

There are a few tests you can do.

RPM Related
While the car is running and completely stopped, rev the motor a little bit and see if the sound speeds up or gets louder.

Speed Related
Can you hear the noise when cruising at a set speed? Then if you accelerate, does the noise speed up or get louder?

Boost Related
Does the noise start as you enter boost? Does it get louder as the boost increases?

Drivetrain Related
While driving, if you put it in neutral or even turn the car off, does the noise continue as you are coasting?

thanks for the replies..i'll probably get it checked out. i think it is the brakes..nothing gotta do with the RPM,speed,etc.
:|

Your pads are shot, put in a new set. Clean and lube the pins while you're there, and get the dust off everything. Chamfer the edges of the pads and use Brake Quiet if you care about squeaking.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back