The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What could it be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brantea

Probationary Member
Dec 1, 2013
Columbus, Nebraska
My 91 Talon TSI is having some tough times right about now.

I started it to warm it up and when i came out to leave i noticed it was idling low and quiet. Got in and the check engine light was on. I started to drive and it was driving like crap.

I was taking it to get the brakes fixed

The guys working on it couldnt get it started and said the engine is flooded and now they are having a hard time starting it and when they do it still runs bad.

The car is still sitting at the shop and im going to have them look into it

I just purchased the car recently from a friend who put on a Holset hx35.

Found out it was the injector wires/clips...missing on cylinder 3 and 4. got it fixed and runs better but he said it still has a boost cut. bought it that way. guy gave me some 550 injectors to put on and said that should fix it

Found out it was the injector wires/clips...missing on cylinder 3 and 4. got it fixed and runs better but he said it still has a boost cut. bought it that way. guy gave me some 550 injectors to put on and said that should fix it

550 injectors will make your car run way worse. You likely have a boost leak that is causing the misfire. Do a boost leak test on it.

Find your boost leaks before you toss in those new injectors. You can do a quick boost leak test with a can of starting fluid. Just spray it anywhere boost or vacuum happens and listen for a change in idle. That will tell you there is a leak there if the idle changes.

Yes, you need to do a boost leak test. Also, 550 cc injectors are not sufficient for a car running an hx35 if you are boosting anywhere near the turbos efficiency range. You'll want to look in the 800-1000 range. How much boost are you seeing?

Wow some one deleted my post out of this thread. Am I not allowed to give advice on trouble shooting or something?

When I bought the car from my friend he did a boost leak test and couldnt find any (so he says). Right now its at 10 lbs wastegate pressure. Also its not tuned or anything

Dam! Stock injectors?

Don't drive it bro you'll mess is it up more.

If it's not tuned you shouldn't drive it at all...

Check and make sure the turbo is good, I don't think it's boosting at 10lbs...
Slapping those 550cc is going to make car run even rough especially with no tune, check and make sure the fuel pump is even upgrades, sounds like one of your cylinders ain't getting spark or fuel.

I wish you guys could drive it LOL. I really have no idea what it is and new to this...it drives fine if you drive it without boosting it runs good just had this injector problem that got fixed i hope.

I wish you guys could drive it LOL. I really have no idea what it is and new to this...it drives fine if you drive it without boosting it runs good just had this injector problem that got fixed i hope.

Yea well that's the thing...you shouldn't be hitting boost at all LOL...

The car is running too lean...it will run fine but once that tubo spools up slowly your pretty much hurting the engine it doesn't have nothing to feed it the fuel it deserves so your performance is like cut in half, your car is pretty much slower than a stock Eclipse with a T25 LOL...

Get a tune, make sure you hav some pretty good size Injectors, and fuel pump, make sure your BOV ain't vented.

And confirm the turbo is indeed a HX35

My plan is to take it to a shop that primarily works on DSMs not to far from the town I live and have them look at it entirely. Just gotta wait for that college refund check LOL

My plan is to take it to a shop that primarily works on DSMs not to far from the town I live and have them look at it entirely. Just gotta wait for that college refund check LOL

Right there is your best answer.

I take it your new to the tuning thing.
A good thing to watch is look up ecmtuning and watch their demo videos. It will kind of give you the idea of what the computer looks at to run the car.

Oh and never believe "the seller said". :p

Yea i am new to this LOL. I bought the car from a good friend of mine who just didnt have the time for it anymore. He loved the car and still asks me how its doing. I want to know how to do everything you guys are helping me. Just dont want to mess shit up LOL

Thanks to all of you who have helped so far

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back