The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94Jettameowpsst

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Is there a difference between the cooling lines for the turbo (oil and coolant) on an automatic rather than a manual? My motor is out of a 92tsi auto w/ a 14b but was wondering if there was a difference in size between the cooling lines because this will be my 3rd 14b that's locked up :notgood:

Doubt it. But consider that a turbo doesn't need the coolant lines hooked up anyway. If you've had three lock up, I wouldn't look to the coolant lines as the problem.

If the car has a 14B swapped onto it already the coolant lines should be the same. A 13G (stock auto turbo) will have different lines I believe. Oil lines I am unsure of.

If you are having problems with the center section burning up on 14Bs I'd replace the lines incase of a clog and do the same with the oil lines. Cheap insurance.

Defiant said:
Very wrong for a water-cooled spool.

What does "water-cooled spool" mean? Since when does a TD05H-based turbo NEED coolant lines hooked up?

94Jettameowpsst said:
Is there a difference between the cooling lines for the turbo (oil and coolant) on an automatic rather than a manual? My motor is out of a 92tsi auto w/ a 14b but was wondering if there was a difference in size between the cooling lines because this will be my 3rd 14b that's locked up :notgood:

There is a small difference in size. It can be installed with the correct banjo bolts but using the smaller lines and crush washers, but I doubt this would be the reason your turbos are failing.

I'd verify that you have good oil pressure. If you do, try draining the oil and pulling the oil return and feed lines and check it for any type of trash or restriciton.

What, no more replies on whether a turbo needs the water lines hooked up or not? Ah, you must have taken two minutes to search around to see that I was right. Please don't allow your misinformation to remain in a thread without correcting it.

deusxmachina said:
What, no more replies on whether a turbo needs the water lines hooked up or not? Ah, you must have taken two minutes to search around to see that I was right. Please don't allow your misinformation to remain in a thread without correcting it.

water cooled turbos require the water lines to be hooked up, how else would it be cooled. If the turbo is only oil cooled then the water lines arent needed.

Someone did loop the lines on their 14b with 4000 miles of success. Don't know what happened after that. Could still be fine to this day *shrugs*. Running a water cooled turbo with out water lines is retarded anyways.

Original poster, yes they're the same.

deusxmachina said:

Wow aren't you a genius. If a turbo is water cooled then yes you will need a water line running to it. But if the turbo is oil cooled then you will only need a oil line running to it. Maybe you should do some searching before thinking you are all high a mighty. :rolleyes:

If a turbo is designed to be watercooled, the oil that goes through it would do little more than lubricate the bearing. No cooling effect. What's the harm in leaving the water lines hooked up? A little extra insurance that your turbo won't die prematurely. So what if someone has gone 10000 miles without water lines, who's to say the turbo wouldn't have gone 20000 with them.

I wouldn't be so annoyed at this if I wouldn't have been called "VERY WRONG" and Buck wouldn't have copped a sarcastic attitude. No, Buck, I don't know either why we have the same reputation points since I am right. You should use the rolling eyes icon some more. It's a good way to pretend that you know what you are talking about.

Anyone who thinks you have to hook up the water lines on these things, go ask the turbo gods at Forced Performance and see what they say. They'll tell you to use synthetic and to change your oil on a regular basis. Lots of people don't connect the water lines just to avoid the annoyance and clutter or to avoid having one of those hoses burst while driving. I had a turbo crack the water jacket and dump coolant into the exhaust. Worked fine otherwise. Disconnected the coolant lines and it still worked fine. Must have been magic.

It doesn't hurt to have them connected. Are they needed? No.

edit: Hey, Lunch Box, I'm not being all high and mighty. I am providing correct information. You want me to search? Brian and Robert from FP have said this directly, and someone from FP talking about turbos is like God speaking from atop the mountain. So maybe you should be the one who does a search. Make sure to roll your eyes some more, too.

Maybe Robert is telling you this because his turbos aren't water cooled. Hmmm theres a thought. :rolleyes:

Last I checked, Robert sells water-cooled turbos to people who think they need water-cooled turbos. Also, last I checked, David Buschur never hooked up the water lines when he was setting 20g records. Also, last I checked, my stock turbo with 190+ thousand miles that I took the water lines off of was still going strong to the guy I sold it to.

So do you have any evidence at all to back your claims up, or are you just guessing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back