The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Cold Start idle surge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
hello, I have a 93 GSX 67,000 miles, it is stock except for an old HKS vein pressure controller (SD) system. When the car is cold soaked the idle surges bad and almost stalls. However, when the engine warms up the surge disappears and everything is normal.
The first thing I did was remove the old HKS VPC and reverted everything back to stock MAF. The vehicle idled worst a did not smoothen out well even when warm. At this point I checked and replaced the plugs and wires. The plugs were black and the wires did not match. However, this did not change anything. So I tested the ECT resistance cold. I was measuring about 2.6K ohms and there was 4.7V on my signal and ground KOEO. The resistance matched a brand new ECT sensor that i have.
At this point I can't determine if the FICV or ISC valve would cause this or both, or if I am heading in the wrong direction?

Thank you for any input!

FIAV, very common issue on these cars. Personally I keep mine, and ended up screwing the FIAV plunger in some to make my idle surge go away on a couple cars. There is no spec for this unfortunately, and it requires removal and reinstall of a core plug on the back of the FIAV. The other option is to delete the FIAV and hold the throttle for the first minute or so in cold starts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back