The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Carbon fiber hood and hatch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmw335ikt

Proven Member
Sep 23, 2015
Crown Point, Indiana
Hello I’m looking at purchasing a carbon fiber hood and hatch for my 1997 eclipse.
Just seeing which ones are good. From experience has anyone had a brand they like or don’t like. How is fitment etc.

I have seen vis and seibon hoods or carbon creations. Or if you guys recommend a brand let me know
But only vis carbon hatch

I also see carbonetics make stuff but I see they have a bad rep. Seeing if it’s still true

Thanks

Last edited:
I recently got a carbon creations hood and it was crap. I needed a hood right away and no one else had OEM style in stock and I only paid like $500 shipped. Complete crap!!! What pissed me off is the fact I read a recent review of a cc hood and it was good, mine must've been old stock. No wiper nozzle holes (but dimples, so you really can't go with a sleek look, no hood prop hole, I had to cut out some fiberglass for the stock latch to fit, amongst other fitment issues. All cf hoods for the most part don't fit at first, and the chances of your front end being perfectly straight on a 20 year old car are slim, so adjustment of fenders and bumper cover is usually needed.
My biggest complaint is quality. The cf has many imperfections (much more than "normal"), there was a small chip in the clear coat ($50 refund, whoopdeedoo) and even though I'm using a heat shield I'm getting spots appearing all over my hood the more heat cycles it goes through. Gel coat is also much more "rippled" than on other cf hoods I've seen.
I also chose CC because of customer support, they have clearance guarantee and if it doesn't fit or defective you send a video of the piece being destroyed and they'll send you a new one. Well mine wasn't bad enough so I'm beat. Stay away from cc/ed products. Maybe the newer stuff is OK but this was just a few.months ago so its luck of the draw
I planned to go with seibon, but they were out of stock in their US warehouse. In retrospect I should've waited and just slapped a junkyard hood on for a few months.

I had a Seibon hood on a 3rd gen. It lasted about a year before becoming nasty looking from the sun. Plenty of waxing and care went into it. Had the VIS hatch for that car too. It held up without spots until I sold the car. VIS is your only option for the hatch, and in my experience, you should go with them for the hood too.

I will say, the sibon hood had easy fitment and everything was in the right place. Of course for the VIS hatch holes for the wing/spoiler had to be drilled and the glass professionally installed. The seibon hood was vented also, so even keeping the heat down that way didn't work either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back