The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

car won't start when it's cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsalas793

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2004
Manassas, Virginia
:cry: The car has a standalone aem ems and supporting mods 6 bolt swap. Every morning it takes about 15 minutes to get started. In the cold weather, the car struggles to get started. Under 30 degrees it won't even get started. I sat in the car with jump start cables from my friends 350z to my 96 gst in the morning at 20degrees weather trying get it started for 40 minutes. I was cranking,3 min. break,cranking,3 min break, cranking you get the point. No signs of starting up. When it is nice outside the car starts fine but still not on the first or second crank. Takes about 20seconds to a 1min to start when its nice outside like 40 degrees and up. :mad:. The temp. sensor is good, my car is tuned, fuel filter is new, spark plugs are new ngkbpr7es. Should I maybe switch to bpr6es??? Oil is fresh, coolant is full. What can it be? Is there any upgrade that I can do to get rid of the starting problem? Is it possible to have the car start regular like other cars on the first crank or is this just what happens when you get in the standalone world?

I had it tuned at the shop in Mach V Motorsports over here in Virginia, Sterling. Not familiar with AIT sensor?

ITs your settings in you AEM!

you need to change the standard 35degree cold start to -40degrees and also and fuel to your start map

I don't run an intake to my evo 16g. I let it run free with no filter or intake which runs and sounds nice by the way but I am aware of the danger. I use a aem map sensor. My blowoff vents to the atmosphere. Anyway the venting to the atmosphere option was well tuned and runs nice, it should not affect the starting. I read forums similar to this one but it seems like nobody has answers and readt "it is common with DSM's", which I don't believe if you have the right tuning and setup.

ITs your settings in you AEM!

you need to change the standard 35degree cold start to -40degrees and also and fuel to your start map

Besides changing my start up degree to -40 did you mean ADD fuel in the start up ???

my car has been like this for about a year. And had tuned twice since then.. THat did not fix it. My tuner said that i could be bad grounding because when i first turn the key its drops to 7 volts and then i stop and turn again and starts normal but still cranks for a while until it starts sounding like its about to start. Neway, when the car is warm it cranks about 3-7 times and then starts..its fine when its warm.

Might also want to check firing order. I had my plug wires swapped at one point and it would take a while to start in cold weather.

The firing order is correct because if it wasn't, the car would be limping when i would get it started and driving it, but it doesn't. The car drives nice and smooth.

It is not the gap in the spark plugs because i talk to my tuner about that and he said leave them alone, don't touch. Spark plugs are bpr7es and i don't mess with them when they come out of the box.

By the way my tuner is Jason Hunt from Mach V. Great Tuner!

From what I was told spark plugs don't come pre-gapped. At least not the BPRs

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back