The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car hesitates between 3k-4k rpms at full boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Mr Steve

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
Spanaway, Washington
Interesting problem here... I have a hesitation problem when I'm at full boost between about 3200 RPM and 4200 RPM, give or take a few RPMs. Accelerating up to full boost is no issue, but as soon as it hits full boost (about 14-15psi) at around 3200 RPM, it stutters. If I hit full boost anywhere in that range, it stutters. But if I accelerate w/o hitting full boost past that range, no stuttering issue. My car is running rich, as can be seen from large amounts of deposits on my spark plugs after only 10-15 miles. I have a AFPR that I'm not exactly sure how to tune, and a SAFCII that I am in the process of purchasing a pocketlogger for tuning. Should I do something to lean out the entire system with the AFPR or lean out between those RPM's with the SAFCII, or does that even seem like the problem??? BTW, its not spark plugs or wires...

ya i seem to have the same problem once i hit like 5,000rpms at full boost the car violently shakes and i replaced my spark plugs and wires, it use to stutter at like 2,800rpms before that. I also notice a large buildup on my spark plugs within 1,000miles, strange shit and my car only has 43,000 miles on it. :confused:

Here are a few questions for you.

Spark plugs: What kind and what gap?

AFPR: DO you have a gauge, if so what is it reading at idle?

Boost leak check done?

When you say full boost, what is full boost? 10 PSI? 25 PSI? what?

mine also is gutless from 4k to 5k then after that it pulls hard and it spools before 3k with a 14b with s16g ported housing :)

i am having same problem on mine, same plugs, new wires, new fuel filter, cant figure it out

I had a similar problem and I vote for boost leaks. thats if you have already changed your plugs and wires (and plugs are gapped correctly).

My bad, my fuel pressure WITH THE VACUUM LINE OFF at idle is 50 psi... Probably an issue, so I'll lean it out to 40 tomorrow...

my 96 talon is doing the same thing. It gets to full boost @ 13 psi and then starts sputtering real bad and the needle on my gauge (autometer) flutters real fast between 12.5 and 13.5 psi. Also my air/fuel gauge jumps from rich to alomost lean so fast that the whole gauge is lit up constantly between those points. Any help on this matter would be great...I am getting frustrated and obviously no closer to solving the prob. thanks

i have the same problem just installed my turbo t3/t4 and then 3 days after driving the car started acting funny i thought it was my intercooler piping but it was all checked for leaks. egt gauge is reading at 14 so i guess the car is not running lean someone told me to disconnect the tps and the car did the same thing just wondering would the plugs and wires foul out that fast or should i look else where

I just had the same problem. It turned out that the outer nut on my egt tap had loosened. So it was ok at low rpm's but as soon as the exhaust started really flowing I hit a flat point untill I shifted and lowerd the rpm.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back