The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Calling drivetrain Gurus. Help with drivetrain noise I think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike96

15+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok. Did a bit of looking around and haven’t really found a good solid answer to my question. I just recently got my car put back together and now I am trying to track down all the little thumps and bumps. I got quite a few of them taken care of but now I am trying to hunt down the last one or two and am not having any luck. The noise I am looking for starts at about 50MPH and is a very low tone thump that is very in-consistent. It doesn’t affect handling but seems to be affected by it (it gets louder when you turn to the right). At first I thought it may have been a loose bolt but after taking the wheel off twice now and having put a wrench on every nut and bolt I can find I don’t think that is the case and CV noise is normally a lot more consistent than this noise and normally a clicking noise rather than a thump/thud. I just got back from having it on a frame lift and went over the entire car shaking, pulling, tugging, and twisting everything i can think of under the car I have came down to two possibilities.

1. Shocks, Yes I bought them used they look brand new and I was told that they had less than 1K in mileage on them I won’t rule out the possibility that at least one is bad.

2. drive train noise (rear diff and front transfer case specifically) while I was under the car shaking and twisting things around I took notice of a substantial thump/clack coming from both components as well as a considerable bit of slop. Is there any way to check short of removal/disassembly to tell if they are within factory specs?

As soon as I read "gets louder when I turn to the right" I started thinking wheel bearing.

I wouldn’t have associated the clunking noise with a bad wheel bearing. All the cars I have had that had a wheel bearing go bad either made a noise like a truck that had swampers on it or would get a grinding noise when you turned the corner from the rotor rubbing agents the caliper, caliber bracket, or dust shield. My Subaru goes thunk in the back end because it is a known issue with the struts, they have some plastic part in them that wears out and causes it to thunk when is compresses. I am planning on replacing all 4 wheel bearings at the same time when I get the cash together, guess I will start doing them one at a time as I get the cash and see what happens. I already jacked the car up and put a wrench on everything I can get a wrench on and none of the bolts/nuts are loose and when I shook and wiggled everything the wheel didn’t feel like it had any excessive wobble to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back