The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Breaking Axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Morison

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2018
Christchurch, New_Zealand
Firstly, I don't (touch wood) have this issue

I was comparing the different axles for my mirage and found that the Evo 6 axles were 1mm larger in diameter to the ones that I use on the mirage. Im doing hillclimbs and other similar events in my car which is around 600hp, it gets launched basically every run but I don't sidestep the clutch, try to get the drivetrain loaded then quickly release the rest of the clutch travel.

I was wondering whether the larger axles would actually be an upgrade or not. I think from what ive seen with other people, when an axle breaks it tends to break at either end spline where the cv goes into the diff, or into the hub, but I dont think ive seen an axle break between its splines. Could the narrower diameter of my axles be a benefit potentially, allowing a bit more dampening of shock loads?

If you've broken an axle... where did it break?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back