The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Brake too soft after installing evo9 brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toni Eclipse

Proven Member
Oct 16, 2013
Trogir, Croatia, Europe
Happened to others? For now I have just the rear brakes installed cause the front ones don+t fit under my wheels. So with oem front brakes and evo9 rear ones my pedal became too soft. Theres no air in the lines for sure and oil level is as it should be. Do I need a bigger master cyl?

Yep, the car was originally GS model with 4g63 n/a, 4g63t inside for quite some time now.[DOUBLEPOST=1412468278][/DOUBLEPOST]If I need a bigger master cyl, which one should I get?

The 3G eclipse works great for me. I installed when I did the Evo brake upgrade, gives nice firm pedal feel.

Alright, gonna look it up, there are probably some on ebay.[DOUBLEPOST=1412521625][/DOUBLEPOST]
The 3G eclipse works great for me. I installed when I did the Evo brake upgrade, gives nice firm pedal feel.
Did you have any complications? I have abs on my car, any problems there?

Last edited:
Zero complications with install. I since removed abs but will be fine with or without. While your installing you should get some braided steel lines while your at it, supposedly the 3g uses a different flare than the 2g but with the lines you convert from flare to an and that fixes problem. However several people have claimed that the different flare will work but i wouldn't trust it.

Alright, can you tell me where did you get the braided steel lines? I'm from Croatia so dsm shops are a no go here.. I order everything from the states..

The 1G ABS system is worthless, and it was one of the first things I deleted on my car. I'd say delete your ABS if you are doing a 3G master swap, but that's up to you. The link below will provide you with everything you need. These items are commonly found on the web everywhere, so you don't have to purchase them from the same places I did. Just make sure wherever you get the stuff from, the parts are the same ones in the link. Good luck.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/3g-brake-master-in-a-2g.459407/page-3#post-153454564

Last edited:
The 1G ABS system is worthless, and it was one of the first things I deleted on my car. I'd say delete your ABS if you are doing a 3G master swap, but that's up to you. The link below will provide you with everything you need. These items are commonly found on the web everywhere, so you don't have to purchase them from the same places I did. Just make sure wherever you get the stuff from, the parts are the same ones in the link. Good luck.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/3g-brake-master-in-a-2g.459407/page-3#post-153454564

I have a 2g :O

No kidding? I couldn't tell from your profile picture...

All the same shit still applies, as the 2G ABS system isn't any better than the 1G. Unless you plan to run all new lines to the ABS unit and then back to the prop valve, your only option is to delete it. I doesn't seem like you're really grasping what needs to happen here.

Are you sure you bled the lines correctly ? That's usually the number one reason for the problem. But if that's not it I would definitely upgrade the booster. The master cylinder is fine.

That is the exact kit i have and it works great. It turns the bubble flare into an fitting. I've had zero problems.

If you are still using the 2G stock master, then you're fine. But, if you used the fittings in STM kit you linked with a 3G master cylinder, you're wrong. The fittings in the STM kit are inverted flare to -3AN , not bubble flared. The ports on the 3G master cylinder are bubble flare, not inverted flare.

Here's the difference...and a substantial difference at that.
(Inverted flare pictured top, bubble flare bottom)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you used the fittings in the STM kit with a 3G master cylinder, then you have mismatched the fittings, which is not only stupid, but a major safety hazard. It may work for some people, but it's not the correct way to do it, nor would I ever recommend it.

Additionally, tightening the wrong steel fitting into the aluminum 3G master cylinder probably damaged the bubble flare seats on the ports, so you essentially just junked your master cylinder.

Hopefully you meant you used the STM kit with a 2G master...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back