The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Bought a 97 GS-T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyDSM

Probationary Member
Jun 8, 2021
Florida
What's up DSM Tuners people,

My name is Manny, 24 years old from Miami. I had a shitbox '96 RS a few years ago and had to turn it in due to electrical problems that I didnt know anything about. Sold it for $750.

In June 2021, I bought a '97 GS-T. I wish I knew more about the vehicle but I bought it from a 2nd or 3rd owner. He doesn't know what tune it had, nor the detailed upgrades. All he told me was it has an aftermarket exhaust, lowered on springs, Evo 8 FMIC and a 16g Turbo (which I have yet to inspect). The rims were the OEM chrome rims and unfortunately chrome stripping ... wish I f***ing knew that before I bought brand new rubber for it LOL. Bought some temporary rims same size to be able to actually move.

Long story short, I took the car to my trusted mechanic, although not much DSM experience, he does work on boosted Honda's often. Owns one himself. I told him to inspect it see what it needs, boost leaks, motor/tranny conditions, etc. It's still there and I've paid approximately 1500 bucks so far on regular maintenance: oil change, timing belt, balance shaft belt (unsure of the delete), water pump, coolant flush, replacing cracked/old rubber hoses)

I want to bring back the culture of clean DSM's in Miami not just 600+ HP gains for 1/4 runs in a shitbox.
Aiming for a nice clean build to take out for fun.

Hit me up if you have any advice, want to talk about anything DSM related, questions on the car

Attached the pics, check it out

Thanks ✌️

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I like your car, and definitely like your goals. If it has the mods the seller claims, you likely won’t need much else to have a fun and good driving toy. Spending on the basic maintenance items is the right move. Timing belt in particular. The mechanic should have figured out if at least for the rear b.s., since that is part of the procedure.? The block has a small bolt that gets removed and a srew driver inserted to verify the orientation of the shaft, keeping it the right “phase” with the front shaft. There seems to be a robust debate on the value of delete vs. keep with these. I’m not planning to remove mine, and it seems that since Mitsubishi kepth them in all the Evos with 4g63 motors, well… that’s kind of telling.
New tires was a good call, for sure. How is the interior condition?
welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I like your car, and definitely like your goals. If it has the mods the seller claims, you likely won’t need much else to have a fun and good driving toy. Spending on the basic maintenance items is the right move. Timing belt in particular. The mechanic should have figured out if at least for the rear b.s., since that is part of the procedure.? The block has a small bolt that gets removed and a srew driver inserted to verify the orientation of the shaft, keeping it the right “phase” with the front shaft. There seems to be a robust debate on the value of delete vs. keep with these. I’m not planning to remove mine, and it seems that since Mitsubishi kepth them in all the Evos with 4g63 motors, well… that’s kind of telling.
New tires was a good call, for sure. How is the interior condition?
welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it. For the B.S., I decided to keep it for now just to avoid any complications that I'm unaware of. I think it would make more sense for a 4G63 built for extreme measures. So the interior was kind of a mess, the prev owner left a bunch of "goodies" for me. A bunch of cheap crap he bought but never installed, so I left it all in the back seat and the trunk. So far I didn't see any tears or cracks, but I'm sure its far from perfect. The car is still in the shop, but I did mention this car is not a priority since it's just for fun. Gives me more time to rack up some money for the bill too. Once i get it back, I'll empty it out throw away the garbage and take pics of everything.

May be good to get a good look at the turbo and any part numbers on the alum compressor (intake) housing. If it's a Chinese clone, they don't tend to fare well and can cause engine damage upon failure.

Car looks good and clean.
Thanks! I wish I knew more about the turbo. I'm going to ask the mechanic to see if he can send me a pic of the turbo or at least get the numbers on it so I can share and do some research. If I do have to change the sucker out, I'll be checking the forums for suggestions. LMK if you have any! Thanks again bro:hellyeah:

Ahhh, you said “unsure of delete”, and I took that to mean you didn’t know if it still had them or not. Thought that was odd, but, well…, I do see some interesting posts on occasion. With new belts anyway makes sense to not delete. If it turns out you need a new turbo, or any part, really, you can often find in the classifieds on this site. I literally check those daily (at least) just so I don’t miss out on rare goodies or just good deals.
sounds like you don’t wrench on cars yourself? I know some folks don’t, though a lot do, or at least do some level of fixing.
Hope you get to drive soon enough. (I could say the same for myself).

Yeah I'm not the most mechanically inclined with my own hands LOL Like 3 years ago I had a 96 eclipse RS and I replaced some rubber hoses, thermostat and cleaned the throttle body. And of course I set up the whole stereo with speakers (wiring was a pain). Basic shit you know.

However, When it comes to this certain build I would rather leave it to someone I trust more than myself. But at the least I want to be educated enough to understand what's going on so I can make good decisions.

Thank you my man! I hope your 1G get on the road too! I'll be watching the build, I actually think those 1G's have more potential than the 2G's do performance wise

As long as your mechanic is not too proud, you can relay any of his questions on these forums, too. There are certain parts, for instance, that many folks only trust the original Mitsubishi brand (timing belt tensioner is one example). Other items like a new clutch, and aftermarket seems preferable.
Tuning is another area were the experts will have specific knowledge that even a good mechanic would benefit from.

Hey welcome.

Seems like your new home is a great place to post pics and say what the hell is this, whats goin on here? Can anyone tell me what the hell this other thing is. Lol

Plus in our resources section theres plenty of good reads, posted by people who may have learned the hard way, and wrote an article to help others.

What's up DSM Tuners people,

My name is Manny, 24 years old from Miami. I had a shitbox '96 RS a few years ago and had to turn it in due to electrical problems that I didnt know anything about. Sold it for $750.

In June 2021, I bought a '97 GS-T. I wish I knew more about the vehicle but I bought it from a 2nd or 3rd owner. He doesn't know what tune it had, nor the detailed upgrades. All he told me was it has an aftermarket exhaust, lowered on springs, Evo 8 FMIC and a 16g Turbo (which I have yet to inspect). The rims were the OEM chrome rims and unfortunately chrome stripping ... wish I f***ing knew that before I bought brand new rubber for it LOL. Bought some temporary rims same size to be able to actually move.

Long story short, I took the car to my trusted mechanic, although not much DSM experience, he does work on boosted Honda's often. Owns one himself. I told him to inspect it see what it needs, boost leaks, motor/tranny conditions, etc. It's still there and I've paid approximately 1500 bucks so far on regular maintenance: oil change, timing belt, balance shaft belt (unsure of the delete), water pump, coolant flush, replacing cracked/old rubber hoses)

I want to bring back the culture of clean DSM's in Miami not just 600+ HP gains for 1/4 runs in a shitbox.
Aiming for a nice clean build to take out for fun.

Hit me up if you have any advice, want to talk about anything DSM related, questions on the car

Attached the pics, check it out

Thanks ✌️

Hit me up buddy on a dm I’m in NC just getting my 97 and tryna build my motor too by bits and pieces and you got most of the parts done to a cleaning motor out and upgrade for soon good hp turbo future but yeah I hear oem best place to get parts all I’m tryna use anyways wats a gudd oil and all tho for it ,?

Hit me up buddy on a dm I’m in NC just getting my 97 and tryna build my motor too by bits and pieces and you got most of the parts done to a cleaning motor out and upgrade for soon good hp turbo future but yeah I hear oem best place to get parts all I’m tryna use anyways wats a gudd oil and all tho for it ,?
Is there some English in there. Hurts my brain to look at no punctuation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back