1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Boost Guage

Posted by eclipse420ags, Feb 28, 2012

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. eclipse420ags

eclipse420ags Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Martinez, Georgia
    Ok so I just got an autometer mechanical boost gauge and everyone says to hook up the lighting to the cig lighter, but there is like 6 different wires back there. Obviously the black one is ground but which one is the illumination wire when you turn on the lights?:hmm:

2. GSLENK

GSLENK Proven Member

Joined May 25, 2011
    DC, Maryland
    If you dont have a 12v test light, or a voltmeter, I would stop there... or just start testing wires with your gauge, I doubt any combo of those are guaranteed to blow anything besides a fuse.

5K  6

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Green-white is the taillight relay power.

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  4. ostenator

ostenator Probationary Member

Joined Jun 1, 2010
    cedar rapids, Iowa
    Im with gslenk, go and buy a 12v tester. That will help you out a lot.

5. Tiki2777

Tiki2777 Proven Member

Joined Oct 9, 2011
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Don't forget you have to have the interior dash gauges on at least to get power to the cigarette lighter wires.

Street Build 2K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. PerfectStorm

PerfectStorm Proven Member

Joined Feb 5, 2011
    Yucca Valley, California
    It depends on which way YOU want to do it. I personally have it hooked up to an auxiliary wire that only powers up when my lights are turned on. However, I know others who run it from the tail lights, or a source from the radio (I don't know about this one) so it's really your choice on what you'd like to do. Have you figured out that much and that's why you're trying to tap the lighter source or just went with the he did it so, I'm going to follow? Either way to answer your original question the lighter wire is black and silver blue and silver green and brown. I BELIEVE most tap into the blue and silver.

Seems to me like you're going to be the pilot of your modification crew so do yourself a favor and invest in the 12V and or a voltmeter so you can help yourself better when you start breezing through these projects.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. eclipse420ags

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Martinez, Georgia
    Ok thanks guys gonna go pick one up today thanks

8. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    campabello, South Carolina
    Easy way to hook it up is splice it in properly with the cigarette lighter power wire. It's how I did my AFR gauge and it hasn't given me any problems at all. The light will turn on when you turn the key.

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. 1996tsitalon

1996tsitalon Proven Member

Joined Feb 5, 2012
    des moines, Iowa
    I hooked mine up to the cig lighter light that comes on when you turn on the head lights

10. airmail96

airmail96 Proven Member

Joined Mar 28, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Mine is wired into the illumination wire going into the stereo.

600  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  11. jcarmichael

jcarmichael Proven Member

Joined May 3, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    you could also, use an open spot on your interior fuse box that has power when you turn the car to on. if you do that, go to autozone and get a fuseable link( I believe that is what its called). its a fuse with a wire coming off of it.

296  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  12. 2gGst98

2gGst98 Proven Member

Joined Oct 3, 2010
    Concord, North Carolina
    I also have mine hooked up to the radio. That way your lights dont need to be on for your guage's to be on.

3K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. 2slow4now

2slow4now Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2008
    somerset, Kentucky
    That's how I did mine too. I like that they dim right along with the dash lights instead of staying on constantly. I also put in leds in the dash and gauges to help with the load on that circuit. It was easy because I had an aftermarket radio with an adapter plug and wasn't going to use the dimming feature on the radio so the wires i needed were right there.:thumb:

970  11

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. eclipse420ags

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Martinez, Georgia
    This is what I needed.:D

15. jed344

jed344 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Waterville, Iowa
    my illumination for my autometer gauges i have wired to the cruise control so i can turn the illumination off at night with the cruise and no extra switches. Havent seen anyone else do it this way yet have been running this way for 2 years with no issues my switched to gauges is threw radio i think same one i have my turbo timer on.

1K  38

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM