The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build Boobla's Black talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boobla

Probationary Member
Jul 20, 2015
Ottawa, ON_Canada
Hey everyone, I've been a long time viewer and this is my first post, I wanted to have started my build so I could put up pictures of it at the same time whole I'm building.

So the basics, I bought two eagle Talon's last year to start my build. I got a 1995 black awd tsi, and a 1995 blue esi. I bought two just incase I need parts and what not.

Ok so here we go, my first plan was to use the blue car as a shell and transfer over all the parts from my black car. Pics below
IMAG0332.jpg
IMAG0330.jpg

I started in the middle of December so excuse the snow :s I pulled both cars into my shop and started to scrutinize each one. During this I made a few discoveries about the cars and came to the conclusion that I would be beter off just fixing the black awd talon instead of a swap like I planed. Bent frame rail on the blue talon and extensive rot that was not visible until I got it up on the hoist.

IMAG0340.jpg
IMAG0343.jpg

So I pulled the blue car off the lift with my brother's fork lift (that was sure fun at -30 :) and I got the black car up and started pullig the rear end out, gas tank all that good stuff, there was a hole in the plastic tank but I didn't really care because I knew I was going to fuel cell the car anyways. I also found that the rear cross member was shot. No rot in the floor at all but I could make holes in the member with my fingers LOL

So at that point I had to think about what I was going to do, my brother sugested a tube cross memeber and that seemed to be the easiest and best decision.

So that's where I am at right now, I used some 2 1/4 walker exhaust pipe :p and with my brother's welding skills we installed it this weekend. Pics and more to follow, I'm writing this on my break at work.

As I said the rear cross member was shot, it took very little effort to get it out cleanly, it kinda just cumbled apart LOL this is all that's left of that...
IMAG0366.jpg

So with that out of the way,
IMAG0367.jpg
IMAG0368.jpg

I could measure up the length of tubes I need, up here in canada the car is in good shape for being 20 years old. So a quick grind with the die grinder and I measured up what lengths I needed, a quick trip down the lane to the old man's shop to use his new cold cut saw and I got what I needed. A couple of love taps and the pipes slid between frame rails fine, strait and level.
IMAG0372.jpg
IMAG0373.jpg
IMAG0374.jpg
IMAG0375.jpg

Stitch welding upsidown starting to agrivate me, it's never fun welding underneath a car.

My bro giving me a hand welding :)
IMAG0376.jpg

....And everything stitched up, just need to finish welding it all solid

IMAG0379.jpg
IMAG0380.jpg

Now that the cross member is solid and ready for a quick grind/sand and paint I just have a few small patches too do and the rear of the car will almost be ready to accept the rear subframe and diff. Having the gas tank out of the way makes this process nice, lots of room to work fitting it in. But now attention is turned to the rear sub frame assembly.

IMAG0370_1.jpg

I'm still waiting for parts to arrive, all the rubber in the car is going to be switched to urethane, I have some stuff but I want all my parts before I tear it down to sand blast, paint and reassemble.

The car came with apex lowering springs, no idea how old they but they look too be in good shape and will do fine until the car gets a nice adjustable kit when the car is finished. The axles also look like they have been rebuilt, fairly recent too, the car only has 120k so I'll they would be fine too.

when I recive parts, or I get my fuel cell which ever comes first I'll update with pics.

Alright boys, time for an update.

So I've done quite a bit of work since my last post, once I got the parts I needed the car took over my life.

So I started to tear apart the rear end, most of the basic stuff came off, upper arms and sway bar BUT everything else was seized solid. So out comes the torches and the sledge.
IMAG0411.jpg

And the axle stub shafts were seized in the wheel bearings...
IMAG0422.jpg

I guess I'm getting rear axles rebuilt, oh well. Moving on, while I was smashing on the rear end my brother started working on the fuel cell.
IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

Nice eh, the sending unit is from a gmc savana van, and it's adjustable hahaha, fits in the tank perfect. A walbro 255 fit in their nice and snug just needs a locking ring.

So I was working crazy hours for a week and during that time my bro did a bit of work in the shop. This is what I walked in to.....

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Wholy geez boys, I couldn't beleive it.
He spent 3 days sandblasting painting and pressing in poly bushings.

Fun time! Patch work. I knew the spare tire well needed to be patched, I mean that's a given. The car is 20 yeas old in Canada. Tearing the interior of the trunk out and their are three major spots that need to be done including the spare tire well and they are on each side of the car between the rear fender and the frame rails.

More talking with dumb kids working at The parts stores who have no idea what an eagle talon is and I have found most of the parts (gotta look up a eclipse gsx) I need for the rear end less the rear lower control arms which are Dealer Only, yeah the ones with the stab bar link attached. Uhg, 260 bucks, damn stealership.

Too end on a good note, take a look at this table full of parts.
IMAG0447.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back