The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

big clunk... now running like crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikeboost

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
Canton, Ohio
Ok so here's the deal. I was out today in my 95 tsi awd, and it was running fine all day. I went on the interstate, and it was running fine. Well, i go to get off the interstate, and after making my first turn i feel a big clunk like i hit something big WTF . I thought i hit a put hole, not the case. it felt like i have no power, and when i went to put it in park, it slowly started to roll. WTF !!!. Any ideas? i looked underneath and there was no fluids, and everything was intact. any ideas????? thanks

mine did that when i was on the interstate and the tranny diffs must have lost the pin that holds it together, it came halfway out and killed the tranny. holes everywhere, outer case and bellhousing were toast. now maybe yours could have come some of the way out but you lucked out and it didn't break through. id check everything out really well or it could get serious...

:dsm:

well i had it towed on a flat bed last night to the shop, luckily i'm good friends with the owners buddy. Whats funny about this is i just order 600 dollars worth of parts from IPT. Luckily the car came with a warranty when i bought LOL! . who would sell a warranty on a dsm with 95k on it, and a have it cover all the power and drive train. ROFL Anyways, if i have to get a rebiuld i'm using the ipt rebiuld kit and having a high stall torque converter installed, and all i have to do is cover the difference in parts between a stock rebiuld kit and the ipt unit. Any other idea's what it could be? thanks guys.

so just got back from the shop and it turns out not only do i have to have the tranny replaced but the axle, spindle, and other shit on the passenger side of the car. I'm really getting tired of this !@#$. i've had the car for 2 months... and i've put close to 4-5 grand in my car to make it run....some of it was convered under warranty... some advice would be nice....

i would say convert to manual, but that involves more work on an AWD. i just converted mine as well but if you don't wanna do it, id fix the problem and sell the car, and the ipt parts on ebay or somewhere. then buy the same car or different, whatever you prefer, but in a manual... thats just my opinion...

:dsm:

sorry bout the ranting and raving... just got a grip on the situation, and i'm not selling the car, put to much in to it to give up now. As far as converting to a manual, not going to happen. I'm having the tranny rebiult right now, and i like the idea of telling people i beat them with my automatic 4 cylinder :D. Anways, i'm not giving up. Next winter i'm going to pull the engine and tranny anyways. Will keep posted on what exactly happened and whats being done next. :talon:

Turns out a Seal in the transmition popped, causing me to lose pressure, car should be running within the week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back