The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

been working on a custom 2gb eclipse front bumper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiGoesPsSsSst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2003
Swansea, Massachusetts
I've been working on a custom 2gb eclipse bumper at work the past few weeks.
I got the bumper free when a dealer decided to replace it when it only needed to be heated up and popped back out.

Took the bumper, filled in the foglamp holes,filled in the mitsu emblem.. made a huge cutout for the sbr fmic (similar to my old blue gst) and molded it to make it look like it came with that cut from the factory this time around.

Put quite a bit of man hours into this thing... what do you guys think?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/Spoolin95DSM/custombump2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/Spoolin95DSM/custombump3.jpg

and finally in primer...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/Spoolin95DSM/bump3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/Spoolin95DSM/bump2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/Spoolin95DSM/bump1.jpg

What did you use to fill the gaps? Pieces of other bumpers?

I had a similar idea, but starting with the Stillen. I had one with the upper part taken out, but can't find it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice work! That looks really nice and not hacked apart, LOL

I had a similar idea, but starting with the Stillen. I had one with the upper part taken out, but can't find it.

Do you mean to fill in the foglamp holes? I used this stuff from 3M called Panel bonder. It's used as an alternative to hold on 1/4 panels, door skins, etc rather than using spot welds, so you can imagine how tough this stuff really is. This stuff is so strong. Probably stronger than the actual bumper plastic itself. Over the panel bonder I used some filler and shaped it out, and pretty much that was all there was to it.

Looks like this except with a bigger air dam. Good work though.:thumb:

Attachments

• gravediggertl5.jpg
    gravediggertl5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 878
Looks like this except with a bigger air dam. Good work though.:thumb:

I like that the original poster kept the sidemarkers. The white one needs something to break up what I would call an "over-smooth" front end. The white one almost seems feminine, whereas the red one is far more aggressive. I didn't realize how far up he actually went until the white one was posted.

Is there any way that there is going to be an actual bumper in place on your car?

looks great and the work looks nice as well...

maybe the "mouth" is a little too tall? looks al ittle goofy, but im sure once a fmic is behind there itll be worth it. i plan on doing the same thing, but im gonna keep the fogs and not open the mouth that wide..as in go past the stock piece, just over the lisense plate holes.

It looks close to how your old bumper was, eh. In that case it should look damn good. I've always loved that old bumper you had. You just need a big ass front mount to fill up that hole! I'd imagine this would look funny with my JRC front mount, which is only like 7-8" tall.

looks great and the work looks nice as well...

maybe the "mouth" is a little too tall? looks al ittle goofy, but im sure once a fmic is behind there itll be worth it. i plan on doing the same thing, but im gonna keep the fogs and not open the mouth that wide..as in go past the stock piece, just over the lisense plate holes.

Trust me when the huge fmic is behind there it looks insanely mean as hell.
I brought my intercooler to work today to polish it. I rested the bumper over intercooler and it fits so perfect and looks incredible. I'll have to take pics of it tommorow.
It's everything my old GST use to be but it has so much of a more cleaner look and less hacked.:shhh: The foglight holes being filled in seems to give the intercooler that much more of an ''in your face'' look.

I wont be able to post pics of it on the car anytime soon. Right now my Talon is recieving a complete overhaul with a built 2.4 and so much more. The past two weeks I have been working on a few small things on the side for the car.. This bumper, polishing my cas, polishing my thermostat housing, and FMIC. But like I said I will try to get pics of atleast the bumper rested over the intercooler once I finish polishing up that core.
Thanks for all the compliments so far guys.

Iv'e also got a pic of my old car here to give an idea of the look I'm shooting for but obviously the front bumper will be alot less hacked this time around.

You mean like killa dsm's???

courtesy of the calendar submission thread

what are you using as a filler? is there a special kind of flexible filler for urethane/plastic parts that flex like the bumper does?

That's also what I'd like to know. What kind of filler are you using and are you actually using urethane to create that new lip from where you cut out the larger air dam? either way, it looks good :thumb:

p.s., do you own a shop or something? or do you just have a really cool and big garage? LOL

That's also what I'd like to know. What kind of filler are you using and are you actually using urethane to create that new lip from where you cut out the larger air dam? either way, it looks good :thumb:

p.s., do you own a shop or something? or do you just have a really cool and big garage? LOL

Nope nothing special about the bodyfiller I used. The trick is the panel bonder , then body filler on top of that which gives you a real strong finish.

For the lip I used a cut out strip of the bumper and duramix bumper repair. It's almost like a glue.. another strong strong adhesive, sanded that and shaped that. It's a little difficult to explain it without you actually seeing it. I'll have to take pics of the inside of the bumper for you to see exactly how I did it.

Are you sure the filler won't crack after a while because of it being stiff while a bumper is suppose to be flexible?

Are you sure the filler won't crack after a while because of it being stiff while a bumper is suppose to be flexible?

The only way the filler would crack would be if someone took a boot to my bumper. Even then the panel bond would not crack. Body filler is used on bumpers all the time, it doesn't just crack unless you really flex the bumper by hitting something hard.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back