The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Auto to Manual Swap - Specific Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSG59_Steve

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2006
Dunlap, Illinois
I've read the tech article and I've read numerous threads. Some of them aren't very clear though and some contradict each other.

I just wanted to make absolute sure before I started buying and selling parts.

I've got a 97 Auto converting to Std.

From what I've read the rear diff is different from the std?

So I'm going to need a 97+ manual trans and 97+ manual Tcase and 97+ rear diff?

I've already got everything else. And I've got to look into the LSD, not sure if the car has it or not.

The rear diff doesn't have to be 97+; all 5spd dsm's had the same rear diff gear ratio. You can just get the gears from a manual car and put them in your diff. The transmission and transfercase: 97 up tranny needs the matching 97 up transfercase because the front diff & t-case gear ratios are slightly different than 96 and under; You can use the 95-96 transmission with a 96 and down transfercase (including 1g) -- this is a good option because a transfercase will be easier to find and cheaper. I have a 94 transfercase in my car. As long as you get a 23-spline transfercase from a manual car 96 and older you'll be good to go with the 95-96 tranny.

The rear diff doesn't have to be 97+; all 5spd dsm's had the same rear diff gear ratio. You can just get the gears from a manual car and put them in your diff. The transmission and transfercase: 97 up tranny needs the matching 97 up transfercase because the front diff & t-case gear ratios are slightly different than 96 and under; You can use the 95-96 transmission with a 96 and down transfercase (including 1g) -- this is a good option because a transfercase will be easier to find and cheaper. I have a 94 transfercase in my car. As long as you get a 23-spline transfercase from a manual car 96 and older you'll be good to go with the 95-96 tranny.

Thanks for the info! Sorry it took so long to respond, didn't notice anyone replied to my thread. I really appreciate it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back