The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Are larger rear brakes necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underradar92

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I am buying BIG front brakes this spring, because my home road course is Road America. My question is, are rear brake upgrades worthwhile, or are our nose-heavy pigs already overbraked out back already?

The benfits here are far less than the front brakes for sure.

Given we can only use sooo much rear brake what's the point? Mainly it's going to be thermal capacity. By going to larger, vented rotors you can keep the brake you can use in check. A vast assortment of pads assure you of a proper balance of torque and wear. And a loss of weight cannot hurt either.

Doing rears is pretty much like fronts in that you do increase the rotor diameter but also control bias by way of modest piston area and pad choice.

Depening upon the choice to do a rear or not can effect the choice of parts used to build a front kit as well. The key is to select front and rear parts that will compliment one another. Each of those selections are also balanced to the master in the car. A smaller MC car can run less front piston area but not work well with a rear kit...a larger MC can support the two kits and is better suited for the larger bore calipers. A small bore MC set up on a six pot front and a rear kit will have poor feedback.

Thanks, that helps a lot.:thumb: My plan so far is to get the 13" (12.?) front kit, possibly try to go w/ 1.25 thick rotors. I know they aren't supposed to fit a 1g, but can a .15 difference be that big of a problem for a toolmaker? (me) I then was considering larger rear rotors w/ stock calipers & upgraded pads. Also installing hoses, replacing the 2 pc ones with 1 pc. s.s. For cash & parking brake reasons, I'd like to keep stock r. calipers. I hope this is realistic. If you or anyonelse has a setup similar to this, I like to hear how it works, or what you'd do differently.

I put on 320mm x 32mm front rotors with 300ZX fixed calipers. I currently have stock rears. It works fine. At some point I will upgrade the rears.

If you will be road racing, upgrade the rears, balance your weight distribution (battery in rear) and proportion your rear brakes correctly.

bjones18 said:
I put on 320mm x 32mm front rotors with 300ZX fixed calipers. I currently have stock rears. It works fine. At some point I will upgrade the rears.

If you will be road racing, upgrade the rears, balance your weight distribution (battery in rear) and proportion your rear brakes correctly.
Hmmm, 1.26 thick rotors, is that a 1 or 2g?. If its a 1g, did you need spacers to fit them? Battery (oddyssy) is almost a non issue & most weight is staying put for now. I am trying to keep the car as civil as possible, keep the A.C. AND do track days. :rocks:

underradar92 said:
Hmmm, 1.26 thick rotors, is that a 1 or 2g?. If its a 1g, did you need spacers to fit them? Battery (oddyssy) is almost a non issue & most weight is staying put for now. I am trying to keep the car as civil as possible, keep the A.C. AND do track days. :rocks:

2g. I got Al hats from Wilwood then machined them to my own offset. Then made caliper brackets.

I put the battery under the spare tire.

For a 2G you could have gone stright to my rear kit: 13" with small DL four pot.

Todd TCE said:
For a 2G you could have gone stright to my rear kit: 13" with small DL four pot.
I'm calling you when I find out what I'm getting back from taxes anyway. I was looking for additional input & I am glad that some folks are out there to help. Thanks :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back