1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Anyone do a head gasket like this?

Posted by bcjjones, Oct 19, 2013

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    So I spent some time doing a head gasket on my gvr4. Being a husband, full/overtime worker and father to a two year old I don't have much spare time. Did most of the work was done after dark in the street with very little light. I must have scratched the gasket when putting the head on. It's leaking oil from the head gasket right in the middle by the middle front oil drain in the head. I was hoping it was just the stud for the exhaust mani but unfortunately it's not.

It's a rebuilt head and the block was checked for warping.

Has anyone just lifted the head, pulled the hold gasket out and slipped a new one in? Was gunna have a buddy just hold it up while I did a quick swap..I just don't have the time to do it all over again. I'm using head bolts and not studs.

Good or bad idea?

2. russell3123

russell3123 Proven Member

Joined May 6, 2006
    peabody, Massachusetts
    Bad idea. If the surface is not completely clean it will not seal good . When i do them, i just unbolt the turbo and leave both manifolds on to save time.

445  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  3. Hillala

Hillala Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2013
    Lowell, Arkansas
    As long as you have proper lighting to see everything you're doing and make sure you don't damage the gasket or the head, you should be good to go.

I did the very same thing on a 318i bmw.

4. TSicktalon

TSicktalon Proven Member

Joined Sep 8, 2008
    Eastern, North Carolina
    If you are sure the head is flat, go for it. But I wouldn't recommend reusing the head bolts, since they're tty.

573  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    12.569 @ 120.550 · 2G DSM
  5. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    I just went ahead and removed the head, I sure did scratch head gasket prettt good. Got it off in 45 min!

Thanks for the help!

6. blizz99

blizz99 Proven Member

Joined Sep 21, 2005
    Zeeland, Michigan
    Let's see the head gasket. Curious to see what it looks like.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  7. 4gfun

4gfun Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 10, 2007
    Ask Me, Virginia
    Good deal, 45 minutes? Wow, it takes me 8 hours.

Street Build 2K  2

1994 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  3

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  3

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM