The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

AFC 5-knob vs. SAFC/SAFC2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defrag010

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
n/a, Alabama
I don't want people to tell me which one I should get, but I'm just curious as to the differences between the two. I'm getting a 5 knobber for a good deal, so I just want to know what it's capable of.
Obviously the SAFC/SAFC2 has more adjustment points, and has low throttle as well as high throttle adjustments.
Does the 5 knob'er only adjust the WOT signal? Or does it adjust the signal at the rpm it's set at no matter what the throttle position is?

So, example, If I had the 4200 rpm adjustment at a 10% increase in flow, it would adjust the signal if I was cruising at 4200 rpm at light throttle in 1st gear the same as it would at 4200 rpm at WOT in 4th gear?

its the same for any throttle position. its great fir drag racing but sucks for gas mileage and such.

The 5 button AFC has LO and HI throttle settings. You set these points to whatever you want and when below the LO point it references those settings. When you go above the HI point it references those settings. It interpolates everything between.

The other good thing about the AFC-II that you didn't mention is the fact that you can store 2 separate maps. Say one for pump and one for race gas. If I had to do it over again I might get the AFC-II just for that feature. I believe it can also read knock on the 1gs. AFC is still nice and plus you can get it so cheap now. It's good enough to get you running quickly.

PGTred95 said:
The 5 button AFC has LO and HI throttle settings. You set these points to whatever you want and when below the LO point it references those settings. When you go above the HI point it references those settings. It interpolates everything between.
uh sorry but it doesnt have hi and low settings. it only interpolates the curve between the set rpm points. and the afc 2 has never been proven to detect knock on the 1gs.

thats right, they DO NOT have hi/lo settings, whatever goes in, thats what goes out plus/minus the settings, regardless if you're at WOT or not.

Am I using the wrong terminology?
There's a Lo throttle set point and a HI throttle set point. If I set my LO throttle point at 30% then whenever my throttle is <30% it references the LO fuel map. If I set my HI throttle point at 75% then any time my throttle is >75% it references the HI fuel map. Between those two it interpolates. Am I missing something? :confused:

PGTred95 said:
Am I using the wrong terminology?
There's a Lo throttle set point and a HI throttle set point. If I set my LO throttle point at 30% then whenever my throttle is <30% it references the LO fuel map. If I set my HI throttle point at 75% then any time my throttle is >75% it references the HI fuel map. Between those two it interpolates. Am I missing something? :confused:

yes you are... the first generation afc DOES NOT have any sort of switches or electronic throttle control.. it has 5 KNOBS - THATS IT. It does not have a screen, it does not have throttle points, no low and no high, there is no switch in the front or in back, and it DOES NOT read the throttle position sensor in ANY WAY. It only reads your air volume sensor to determine the fueling on the 5 rpm points that it controls.

The next generation AFC was introduced with an electronic screan and buttons to navigate, to set your throttle low and high points, in different increments and to even display readings on the screen! yey!....

And the NEWEST 3rd generation AFC's have one scrool button with even MORE rpm points and graphs, and profiles, etc...

perhaps you just weren't around when the first afc's made their appearance.

zdrux said:
perhaps you just weren't around when the first afc's made their appearance.

Well that would solve that dilemma :) I thought I was going crazy cuz I KNEW i could set throttle points.
I wasn't aware there was 3 generations of AFCs. Curious, when did the first one come out?

The first one was called the AFC, next the SAFC (super) and then the SAFC 2

leakyfaucet said:
Can anyone else verify this?

Try again chuckdog. The SAFC should not be used to log knock. There have been many discussion for the reasons why not to.

~Mark

This is what the first SAFC looks like. Sorry about the quality, it's 6:30 in the morning and it's still dark inside my car.

Attachments

• safc.jpg
    safc.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 282
peregrine said:
man this thread is so useless and goofy. that thing on ebay is not what the first afc looks like. im not sure what the hell that is.

The blind leading the blind.

peregrine said:
LOL. been called far worse by far better people my man. :thumbdown

No, you see the light, it's the others I wonder about.

Mark

markgholland said:
No, you see the light, it's the others I wonder about.

Mark
ah. ok then. i see that alot on this site. sorry bout that. :laugh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back