The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Advice on next mods on my 1G!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarTsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Lima, South_America
Here is the deal, I'm seeking advice on what would be the best mods for my car (supporting mods I should say) considering what I'm already running.

Car is a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, daily driver, full weight which sees track days at the strip once a month. I'm running the following setup right now:

FP3052 turbocharger
walbro 255 FP
850cc FI
Wiseco 8.3:1 pistons
Eagle rods
101200 Comp Cams
2.5" downpipe
3" exhaust
Haltech E11 V2 Standalone
MSD DIS 2
BPR7's with .028" gap
20psi boost on pump gas

Last mods on this list have been the DIS2 and the Haltech ECU which leads to what I should do next considering that with the standalone I have many more options availiable in terms of making things work properly.

My concerns are basically the following, I'm considering buying springs and retainers so that I can pull lets say 8500rpms, the question is if the CompCams 101200 are the appropiate cams for this rpm range considering the cams specs say the RPM range is 2600-7500. Should I go for another cam set if I plan reving up to 8500+?????
My other concern is the intake manifold, I think I'll get the magnus (I'm 99% sure on that), the question is if the cams I have will be a good match for the manifold I plan to get????
If I had to choose on one mod first, which one, the springs&retainers or the intake manifold??? I know the combination of both will yield the best results but if I had to choose, which should go first???
One last doubt, when I changed to the FP3052 turbo I left the downpipe in 2.5" since the exhaust port is 2.5". Should I go for a 3" downpipe, would that be a gain with the setup I have????

Thanx for all the advice you can give me guys.

Here is the deal, I'm seeking advice on what would be the best mods for my car (supporting mods I should say) considering what I'm already running.

Car is a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, daily driver, full weight which sees track days at the strip once a month. I'm running the following setup right now:

FP3052 turbocharger
walbro 255 FP
850cc FI
Wiseco 8.3:1 pistons
Eagle rods
101200 Comp Cams
2.5" downpipe
3" exhaust
Haltech E11 V2 Standalone
MSD DIS 2
BPR7's with .028" gap
20psi boost on pump gas

Last mods on this list have been the DIS2 and the Haltech ECU which leads to what I should do next considering that with the standalone I have many more options availiable in terms of making things work properly.

My concerns are basically the following, I'm considering buying springs and retainers so that I can pull lets say 8500rpms, the question is if the CompCams 101200 are the appropiate cams for this rpm range considering the cams specs say the RPM range is 2600-7500. Should I go for another cam set if I plan reving up to 8500+?????
My other concern is the intake manifold, I think I'll get the magnus (I'm 99% sure on that), the question is if the cams I have will be a good match for the manifold I plan to get????
If I had to choose on one mod first, which one, the springs&retainers or the intake manifold??? I know the combination of both will yield the best results but if I had to choose, which should go first???
One last doubt, when I changed to the FP3052 turbo I left the downpipe in 2.5" since the exhaust port is 2.5". Should I go for a 3" downpipe, would that be a gain with the setup I have????

Thanx for all the advice you can give me guys.

Downpipe! I noticed a 1.2 second pickup at the track from switching to a full 3 inch downpipe and exhaust from stock O2 and 2.5 inch exhaust.

+1 on the exhaust. I'd also upgrade to the SMIM first. Run proper cams for the rpm range you want to run at. Wait on the springs and retainers until you get new cams. Mights as well do them all at once since the valve cover is off.

Thanx for the advice guys. I'll upgrade my DP to a full 3" piece next week.

Any advice as to which cams would be a good match for 8500rpm with my setup???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back