The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Adjustable timing? Auto Trans issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msbweiland

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2008
Selah, Washington
Is the timing adjustable on the 2.0 Turbos? I'm getting a bog/low power when pulling away from a stop and I'm not sure if its a timing issue or auto trans problem. Doesn't seem to slip, just no power until you get some RPM's. Fluid isn't burned and is full.
It feels like the timing is retarded alittle. Engine has less than 1k and has good compression. Are there any checks I can make on this without a scanner? I'd like to monitor the ECM but I don't have the correct key for my Snapon MT2500 scanner.

On cars except for 95-96 timing is adjustable with the cam angle sensor which is externally mounted on the valve cover on the intake cam. On 95-96's cas is below the intake cam in the head. I'm not sure if this type of sensor is adjustable or not. Try searching for it.
As for the bogging, start with basics. Have you done a boost/vaccum test? Have you checked spark plugs and wires? Are the plugs ngk's and are they gapped correctly at .028.
You can check on your timing belt to see if your timing marks line up correctly. That will tell you if the motor is timed correctly, then you need to check the ignition timing via a logger and/or timing light.
If you take off the top timing belt cover, the two dowel pins on the cam gears should point straight up, and the divets on the outer of the cam gears should line up horizontally.

Compression was 140 in all 4, timing was right on. I made an adapter for my a/c guages and checked the boost. Nothing! Pulled the intake hose off and the frigging compressor fins are siezed! Crapola.:notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back