The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Auto Trans Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
For the last month or so, my tranny has been acting up. Before the engine gets warm, it doesn't really give me a problem but after driving for a little while, going from reverse into 1st gear (or any forward gear), it wont engage right away.

It takes a good 4 or 5 seconds before it finally engages into gear. Tranny fluid looks good and I bought some of that Lucas Oil Tranny stuff. Didn't really seem to help much. I might have shaved a second off the amount of time it takes for the tranny to engage into gear going from reverse to 1st.

Is my tranny going? Is there something else going? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the situation? Thanks.

While I am at it, Id like to address my passenger front clickity clicking axle. Obviously its going out but how long does an cv joint take from the time it starts clicking before it completly blows out? Just trying to catch up on bills and such so currently don't have to money to replace the axle right yet.

Sounds like the valvebody to me. I have seen this issue before on other vehicles. Do you keep up on regular maintenance like fluid/filter changes? Could be a line pressure issue. Could be causing the delay in engagement.

Ok well an update. When I hit about 5500RPM, the tranny slips. Going from either Park or Reverse to first gear or any forward gear, it wont go in. Takes over 30 seconds to start to move with the tranny fully engaged in gear. Fluid is good, lines are good, idk what is going on. My gf said when she owned the car, it has done that before. Then eventually, it fixed itself.

Well, don't put random crap in your fluids, just use the right fluid.
What fluid are you using?
When you say it takes forever to engage in gear, do you mean to start moving or for some reason do you hear it engage?

I use ATF +4 transmission fluid bought from Carquest. It is for Chrysler vehicles. Before I paid for it, I had them search for which transmission fluid it said on their computer to use. Came up with the same stuff I had in my hand so I bought it. I know these trannys are picky about which fluid you use.

Mostly, it takes forever to engage into gear. I can kind of hear and feel when it finally engages. Reverse has no issues at all. Never hesitates when going into reverse. But any forward moving gear, it takes awhile. I found if I shift from park or reverse to first gear, then move the shifter to second, then drive, it will usually engage quicker. But still nothing like it should. And even then it will slip most of the time. For example when this happens, the car starts creeping forward, I give it about quarter throttle, and it just revs up and moves just slightly.

I am hoping it is the end clutch. It isn't too hard to fix them. I really don't want to end up having to pull out my tranny.

How many quarts of fluid does the tranny hold?

It sounds like a valve body and/or a pressure issue to me.
ATF+4 is right, but don't add anything to it, you'll just ruin the mix that works.
Initial fill is 4.8 qts, dunno about total fill. Trans fluid is one of those things you just kinda fill 'til it's full.

Here is a better description of how she is acting.

I think it is just not getting the amount of fluid it needs. It takes forever to start to move unless driving for over a half hour. Only have problems going from park, reverse, or neutral into a forward gear. It will engauge slightly, then dissengauge. Then when it grips enough, it will sound like a 5 speed with the clutch pushed in about halfway. Then it acts as i slowly release the clutch pedal.

When it was real bad, it would free rev when driving at 5500 rpms. Now its just starting to move that I have a problem with.

How would I check for pressure issues?

Generally you would check the pressure at the outgoing transmission cooler line.

Try pulling the solenoid harness connector off and see if engagement happens right away. You'll only have 3rd gear this way but if the slow engagement problem still exists then we know it isn't electrical

slipping of any form is usually a problem of either worn clutches or line pressure. Checking your end clutches is the best start in my opinion because they are very easy to get to and inspect and are also the weak link in our transmissions. This is an abnormal symptom of end clutches but it doesn't hurt to check. If not then you are likely experiencing insufficient fluid flow from a clogged filter or dying pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back