The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G AC Compressor Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe'sGST

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2011
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
Ok guys, I think it's getting hot now and I'm looking to replacing my ac compressor. My friend here on tuners is selling me his. Saturday I changed my oil at work, took a look at how hard to change the compressor was and I just don't see anyway to take it out if it's not having to remove the intake manifold. Do you guys no any tip or link on an easy way of replacing it? Im going to have to do it on the ground using jack stands LOL.

Thanks,

Abe:dsm:

If you remove the driver mount and unbolt the passenger side mount than you can jack the engine up enough to get it to fit between the intake manifold and strut tower.

I have a 1g and I had to take it out from the bottom by removing the drivers side cv axle.

I would unbolt the compressor first and leave it laying back there. Than jack the engine up and remove the old than slide the new one in. From there let the engine back down and bolt the compressor to the block.

I've done this on the 97 . It will fit between the intake manifold and shock tower. Just remove the vacuum lines. I don't remember if I needed to move the brake fluid resevoir. No need to do it from the bottom.

the easiest way to unbolt the compressor is from the bottom right? anything else i should get other than the compressor? Anything I should watch out for?

I have a 1g and I had to take it out from the bottom by removing the drivers side cv axle.

Yea i checked and it looks like that's what i would have to do if I took it out from the bottom, I think I'm going to do it from the top though.

I've done this on the 97 . It will fit between the intake manifold and shock tower. Just remove the vacuum lines. I don't remember if I needed to move the brake fluid resevoir. No need to do it from the bottom.

Did you unbolt both the mounts?

What mounts? I just unbolted the hoses to the compressor and the 4 long bolts that hold the compressor to the block. Moved the hoses up top and it slid out.

bryanwheat said if I unbolt the passenger side mount and remove the driver side mount, jack the engine up, it will give me some extra room to slide the compressor out. I think that's a good idea but if its possible by just removing the brake reservoir and the vacuum lines I will give that a shot. :thumb:

bryanwheat said if I unbolt the passenger side mount and remove the driver side mount, jack the engine up, it will give me some extra room to slide the compressor out. I think that's a good idea but if its possible by just removing the brake reservoir and the vacuum lines I will give that a shot. :thumb:

I'd say go ahead and try it without jacking the engine up. You might be able to squeeze it out by chance. I usually just jack the engine up so that i don't have to possibly damage paint squeezing it in there.

Yes i would replace the orings on the lines while your there, thats about it, and check for leaks, at all the ac lines, there are several orings, might want to replace the ac belt too, it can crack over time. Go ahead and replace that cheap belt, and your good to go, once you charged up your ac.

onbolt the compressor and throw it in the trash... or atleast thats what i did.. i damaged one of the lines that go into the compressor though when i was replacing my motor so it didnt get put back in.

Buy a newer dryer! Once you break into the a/c system you're supposed to replace the dryer because as soon as outside air reaches the desiccant material in the dryer the moisture in the air saturates it. What the dryer does is prevent any water from being in the system because if water gets in your new compressor it'll damage it.

+1 must change the drier and if a compressor failed check to see if they have an orfice tube, you need to vacuum the system down and make sure it hold 30degrees mercury for at least 15min if it doesnt and you do not have a way to pressure test it make sure you add a dye to the system so that any leaks can be found i have done ac before where you just throw it together but now that i am alot more knowledgeable about ac do to ase cert. it is something that should be done properly and of course it is easy to say when you have access to all the proper equipment but good luck with staying cool i would do some research you could be wasting money on half way repairing your ac in my own opinion

+1...If you don't replace the dryer and have it professionally checked/charged, you will soon be replacing this compressor again.

Also, not all 2G's use the same compressor, so check the compressor where the lines attach to see if your old one and new one are the same. The 95-96 is one type and 97-99 is another. While they both bolt up. The low side line has to match up.

Never saw a video or link, i got to mine the best way i could but i took it out some time ago, dead weight, it worked once and that was it.

any vid, or step by step guide with pics on the procedure??? for noobs?

Haines manual. Mine says to jack the car up and you can pull it out from underneath...Haven't tested that yet, as I don't order my swap out kit until tomorrow.

I can let you know...but it will be about a week before it's done.

I pulled mine out throught the passenger side, no engine jacking or removing of motor mounts I had the battery and tray out and it came right out from underneath the throttle body, just had to wiggle it through the mess of hoses and wires, but all in all not too bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back