The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 rear diff and 1g rear axels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
From what I have searched the 95-96 rear diffs have the same ratio as the 1g rear diffs. I picked up a rearend out of a 1995 TSI AWD and was wanting to use the limited slip diff out of it. Can I use 4 bolt 1g axels and cups in the 2g diff on a 1991 TSI AWD?

From what I have searched the 95-96 rear diffs have the same ratio as the 1g rear diffs. I picked up a rearend out of a 1995 TSI AWD and was wanting to use the limited slip diff out of it. Can I use 4 bolt 1g axels and cups in the 2g diff?

No to everything, there have never been a 95 with lsd stock and you can't use the 1g axles they are either to big or to small.

Well it DOES have a limited slip in it. So the 1gb 4 bolt axels wont spline into the diff?

95 did come with a viscus LSD. I know this cause I just replaced mine with another one out of a 95 Talon TSI AWD. It will say on the sticker on the cover if its a LSD or not. You can also reference the big bold code off it to find out for sure.

No to everything, there have never been a 95 with lsd stock and you can't use the 1g axles they are either to big or to small.

My 95 have a LSD in it stock, I still have the window stick with it on it too.

So can I use 1gb 4bolt axels in a 2ga rear diff? Alot of people said maybe and they think so and some people said no, I am looking for a deffinant answer.

Thats what I am asking, can I buy the axels for a 1g that are 4 bolt and replace my 3 bolt diff with the 2g 4 bolt and use the 1g 4 bolt axels. Axels aren't cheap so I don't want to buy them if they are not going to work.

Thats what I am asking, can I buy the axels for a 1g that are 4 bolt and replace my 3 bolt diff with the 2g 4 bolt and use the 1g 4 bolt axels. Axels aren't cheap so I don't want to buy them if they are not going to work.

If you search the forums the answer is already there :)

1G and 2G axles are totslly different, there is no way they can ever be adapted to cross generations.

The only axles that will work with a 2G LSD are 2G LSD axles - the inboard joint is different between LSD and non-LSD axles; further, the left LSD inboard joint is different from the right LSD inboard joint (and both are different from non-LSD joints), so you must get one of each.

Not only but also, the axle shafts are different between LSD and non-LSD axles.

The ONLY part that interchanges between 2G LSD and non-LSD rear axles is the outboard joint - but even then, ABS cars have an ABS cog pressed on that non-ABS cars do not (and the lip isn't there on non-ABS axles to accept the ABS ring).

In a nutshell, it really isn't as simple as it sounds !

Charles

I did search but couldn't find a straight answer like you put it. I thought(from what I found searching) that the differentials were similar and the axels were what were different. So I thought I could possibly use the diff and just get some 1g axels but I don't guess I can. I did get the vented rear rotors and a gsx swaybar though with it so not all is lost, thanks for the help and keep your eye in the fs if you need a 95 lsd and rear ABS axels!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back