The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

5th gear shift inside tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowens1414

Proven Member
Oct 30, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
so this happened. went to STM with the case and the tech told me this is a commonality among the 2g FWD cars. he explained how the 36 mm nut can loosen allowing the gear input or output to shift grinding away its case leading to a hole as well as taking some of the transmission with it. he said get a new case, tighten the nut to spec and wala, but there's a chance it could happen again. anyone ever run into this problem? what did you do?

Attachments

• also broje.JPG
    also broje.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 239
  • broke.JPG
    broke.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 298
Yep, had this problem with my '90 shortly after I got it. The big nut holding 5th gear to the shaft came loose and broke a hole in the endcase (well I think it happened before I got it because the endcase was covered in orange RTV). I had to remove a broken reverse syncro, parts of 2 retaining rings and 3 partial slider keys. Fifth gear was still ok but had a 2/3rd's syncro on it so I could remove it without taking the gear off also. SOOOO I called JACKS TRANSMISSION and ordered all of the parts that were broken and two new 32mm nuts. It all came in within a week and I also had to get a used endcover from them too because a '90 is different than other models but they had one. I took the gears off the shafts, replaced all the broken parts and felt lucky the gears weren't hurt and put it all back together. Now she shifts fine and no problems at all. Any more questions, just ask. :thumb:

Here is what I had to order:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Locktite? I disagree. A properly torqued and dimpled fastener should not come off. Every one ive seen hat did the dimple was too shallow.

Attachments

• 20140203_161102_resized.jpg
    20140203_161102_resized.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 20140203_161036_resized.jpg
    20140203_161036_resized.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 860
To remove/install the 36mm nuts on the input & intermediate shafts place the tranny in both 1st and 5th gears at same time to hold the shafts. 5th is done by removing the spring pin holding the shift fork, then the fork, and then sliding the syncro sleeve into 5th. Don't do something stupid like jamming a penny or rag between 5th gears teeth as some people say. It won't hold them solid enough and will just cause damage. Torque each to 109 ft-lbs., then dimple (stake) both 36mm nuts on both sides like this.

Attachments

• reverse syncro (new on 5th gear slider).JPG
    reverse syncro (new on 5th gear slider).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
You can also weld up an old disk with a socket. Pins are a pain in the ass. Oh and on the lock tite, I had it there when I was doing my front lsd ring gear so I figured wth. Definitely stake both nuts:ohdamn: with a chisel or punch.

ok ill dimple the nut. the casing just came in so i picked it up at stm. is there supposed to be a ball bearing on that little piece in the casing where it would seem to be in contact with the gear?
Only ball bearing is on the output shaft to hold the shaft in place. If you pulled the transfer case and that shaft slid out, then you need a ball bearing, otherwise, it's all synchro and gears. There's 'shoes' that slip inside the synchro and wire spring. Get a picture and post

it appears the nuts are already dimpled. also i can wiggle that gear about a centimeter in whatever direction. my buddy who puts trannys together said this might be something more severe, possibly a bearing. i took a video and will try to upload it here shortly.

Attachments

• 5thgear.JPG
    5thgear.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 230
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back