The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

44mm EBAY!external wastegate.. anyone ever seen this before!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19gsx91

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Walworth, New_York
So i bought an ebay wastegate.. (I know.. I know) and uh.. well.. I got the car back together and it was leaking exhaust out the dump tube.. took everything apart, added a spring (thinking maybe the ebay ones were too weak) took everything apart again.. and was checking it all out.. and bam! this is what I find!?

Anyone else ever seen this before? Because from my understanding it's supposed to create a perfect seal right? not leak constantly? I have contacted the ebay seller and am awaiting a response, so we will see how good their customer service is.

Attachments

• !cid__IMG_20160317_180945928_.jpg
    !cid__IMG_20160317_180945928_.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 322
I think you are missing a ring . Btw, I run on 2 38 mm wg from ebay for 2 years now & they perform flawlessly set to 42 psi dd .

Attachments

• 2015-02-13 19.43.45 (Small).jpg
    2015-02-13 19.43.45 (Small).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 250
Well, after rechecking the magic box that the wastegate came in i think i see what your talking about I thought it just included a few extra vband flanges for welding... :X good jesus how ridiculous I feel. thank you

Any way to just remove the whole thread? Cause I'm laughing at myself at this point in time.

Any updates on the eBay wastegates? I'm really debating on getting one for my fp black I'll be ordering here shortly instead of the internal gate.
I just ordered 2, they'll be here in a few weeks (china :p). I decided to take the chance as I got 2 ebay wastegates for $115 while 2 Tials would have cost me over $500... We'll see how much work they need to get them functioning properly.

I just ordered 2, they'll be here in a few weeks (china :p). I decided to take the chance as I got 2 ebay wastegates for $115 while 2 Tials would have cost me over $500... We'll see how much work they need to get them functioning properly.

Let us know how they work, ive been looking at tial and turbosmart, but wouldn't mind a more cost effective option if it's good.

FWIW.. I was hoping this thread would die slowly because it shows my severe ignorance for turbo/wastegate related items... My wastegate is holding up fine, @ErikTande I had to use the 2 stiffest springs to stop it from opening constantly under part throttle conditions. Beyond that, I'm very happy with me 100 something dollar EWG.. just make sure to put the fire ring in! LOL

Blows open at the boost pressure the springs are rated for. it's kind of trial and error. at one point I had all 3 springs in there and it would crack the wastegate enough to relieve pressure, it'll only be as strong as what the strongest spring is rated for, but I found that running multiple springs tones down the noise a little bit. My car with an EBC and an ebay 44mm and my cousins WRX with a tial 44mm sound almost the same at WOT, his just opens sooner due to softer spring.

I was mainly wondering if, in conjunction with a boost controller, these ebay wastegates would hold up to say 25-30+ psi @jery1234 says he has had good luck with 2 at 42psi so I was wondering how 1 would hold up at higher boost...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back