The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420a turbo bad tune? Bad AEM FIC? Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hckyplya8

10+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
So yesterday I got my very first DSM! It's a 99 GS with a fully built 420a built for boost with a GT2860RS turbo. It was a guy local to me who owned the car and had the car completely built by Beyond Redline in Green Bay, WI. They tuned it on an AEM FIC. My concern is that it has a slight hiccup. I'm assuming that it is part of the tune. When cruising under 2500 RPM or right around there the car runs really rough it almost feels like its cutting out or something. This tune on it is at 14psi and dyno'd about 275 to the wheels for break in. The motor was just recently broken in completely. I am wondering if this is the tune or maybe it's the AEM FIC? I haven't heard the best things about piggy back systems. Any ideas? Help would be GREATLY appreciated

Sounds like the tune needs to be where you want to drive it. like your running to rich or to lean. sell the car and get a 4g63t motor. Stock w/o mods is 205, with boost controller 300plus, and a build on we'll over 500

Yeah I'm gonna take it to a friend and have it tuned and some gauges installed to monitor everything. I don't want to sell this though its built top to bottom to handle 900 horse to the crank and only have 65,000 miles on the shell and has never seen winter. It's exactly the car I was looking for. Gonna keep it and drive on this motor then eventually AWD and 4g63 swap when this motor goes. The shop who originally tuned it claims that its the AEM FIC that is causing this but I talked to AEM and they said that is not correct at all. Just going to tune it and see what happens

Yeah I'm gonna take it to a friend and have it tuned and some gauges installed to monitor everything. I don't want to sell this though its built top to bottom to handle 900 horse to the crank and only have 65,000 miles on the shell and has never seen winter. It's exactly the car I was looking for. Gonna keep it and drive on this motor then eventually AWD and 4g63 swap when this motor goes. The shop who originally tuned it claims that its the AEM FIC that is causing this but I talked to AEM and they said that is not correct at all. Just going to tune it and see what happens

i highly doubt your gonna awd swap an 4g63 swap it,

Yeah you can't swap a4g63t motor in a 420a car because the frame rails are different. You have to cut into the frame and keep straight while you reeled

Yeah you can't swap a4g63t motor in a 420a car because the frame rails are different. You have to cut into the frame and keep straight while you reeled

You "can" actually do it. Some have succeeded, many have failed. It's just a matter of money and the skills needed to do it.

Sounds like the tune needs to be where you want to drive it. like your running to rich or to lean. sell the car and get a 4g63t motor. Stock w/o mods is 205, with boost controller 300plus, and a build on we'll over 500

300+ Hp with only a boost controller :ohdamn: I think you are being a little to optimistic on those numbers.

To the OP, It really is going to come down to what you want from the car. If you are happy with the power its putting out now then you may be able to get a better tune and be happy with the results. If you are looking to put down some good numbers on that car you really need to get ride of the AEM unit and go with Megasquirt. I havent heard of many people if any that use that system so getting help with it is going to be somewhat difficult.

I was thinking about in the future going to symtechs plug n play Ms2 unit that they offer. Currently I am putting down 300 horsepower to the wheels on 14psi which is only for the break in period for the motor.

I was thinking about in the future going to symtechs plug n play Ms2 unit that they offer. Currently I am putting down 300 horsepower to the wheels on 14psi which is only for the break in period for the motor.

No one offers a plug and play kit for the 420a eclipse. Symtech has a kit they sell that includes everything you need but you still have to either run the stock ECU and MS or eliminate the stock ECU completely and go full standalone. Neither is an easy task for someone that doesnt feel comfortable cutting and splicing wires in their car. There is also a steep learning curve with MS

This thread is crazy LOL.
First to the guy that said 300hp on a stock 4g with nothing but a boost controller you need to do a lot more research before giving advice that is ridiculous.

To the op saying you are going to 4g and awd swap it, best of luck but highly unlikely. I know of 1 person that has done it, but that was extensive modifications and tons of work and money.

Your problem could be numerous things could be the "aem fic" which I have no idea wth that is, I'm assuming its the aem ems. Sounds more like something with the tune or a regular sensor problem or spark plugs.

Also you have a dyno sheet to show that 300hp on you break in tune?

The tune is gonna be done professionally. Close friends of mine are owners and tuners of a performance shop close to me so they will be the ones tuning for me. How hard is the wiring for symtechs kit?

I can find the dyno sheet yes. It was built top to bottom by a shop called beyond redline

And I forgot to include that the AEM FIC is a piggy back "fuel ignition controller" not the stand alone EMS that AEM offers

I didnt think the wiring was to bad, if u have a pinout of your ECU and the wiring diagram for MS its pretty straight forward. As long as you are somewhat familiar with wiring.

I'm gonna get it tuned by someone else first and see if that is the problem and then once it's running well and stuff I will go to megasquirt. What are the best plugs to run for a built 420a boosted?

So today I changed my spark plugs. I went with a step colder and gapped the plugs to .034. One plug was gapped to .05 and the other three plugs were smaller than .025. The plugs were black. The bog I had or hiccup was better but still there. I would say it improved by 50% it isn't completely gone. I'm having a wideband installed to check the AFR. I think it's running too rich. Any other ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back