The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

4" Exhaust system??!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4inch!!!

Maybe for a supra, I don't even think the 3.5 inch exhaust is needed.

Will it even fit?

yeah man 3 inches is pretty ####ing huge, I have 3 inch exhaust and let me tell you, it sound like a ####en explosion richocheting off the walls when I hit wot.

well, im gonna give it a shot on my own company show car :D

anyone where i can find a muffler with 4" inlet? can style

a 4" exhaust...why not just run a cut out, a lot cheaper too, and if you want it all the time, might as well run a 3" dp, with hi flow cat, and no catback.....:rolleyes: curious though, buschur pushes what, 600hp or more, you plan on pushing 750-900hp?:confused:

Dustin

*edit* i don't mean any offense here, but i just don't understand why anyone would go so big, and if so, why even try it, just run nothing after the o2 housing or something....a system like that would also run a pretty high penny too.

ok wait, i just looked at sheps car, acording to taboo's hp calculator, he is making 929 hp at the wheels (granted its not accurate), and has a buschur 3.5" system.....so yet again why 4"?

Dustin

The only person I know running a 4 inch exhaust is Jesus Rivera. Marco runs a 4 inch but its only about 3 feet long. Shep runs 3.5.

3.5 Is plenty in high HP applications for our cars. For us high hp street car guys, 3.5 has worked well. I run a 3.5 on my 2.4, Dre runs 3.5 and many people at or near 500whp are running Buschurs 3.5 setup .

But, I'm sure if you make it... some people will buy it. Even if they only have a 16G

jeff

I really wouldn't see a need for 4inch except to be able to say "I have a 4 inch exhaust" I am very very very satisfied with the times that a 3inch is capable of going. 4 is way overdoing it.

Originally posted by eXploitedGST
bigger exhaust = fast spool, but i dont want to a cut out, id rather it go strait out the back

Less pressure on the outlet side of the turbine = fast spool.....

Bigger does'nt necessarily mean less pressure....

Pre spool there is'nt alot of exhaust as compared to wot..

Therefore a 3" system with low/boost rpm flow thru it will have very little backpressure. Since prespool exhaust flow is very little as compared to the systems capacity I doubt a difference sufficient enough to warrant the expense of building the system exists.

Originally posted by eXploitedGST
well, im gonna give it a shot on my own company show car :D

anyone where i can find a muffler with 4" inlet? can style

Disclaimer:
I don't work at any fabrication/Exhaust shop so i don't know if this guy was talking out of his ass.

I went into a local shop to see if they had any 3inch straight thru mufflers, he told me to pick any of the ones from the showroom and he would take care of it. I told him i don't want to get a 2.5 thru and they just cut the inlet off and weld it to a 3 inch. He told me that they have an "EXPANDER". You put the muffler on it and it opens up the whole thing up to your desired size(He said he can do 4inch :confused: ). I really don't see how that makes sense cause SS just doesn't expand as easy as he made it sound. So i am highly suspecious of him fibbing but i have no right to say he was. With todays technology who knows??

Hopefully someone here can comment on this because i have been kind of wondering about this. I don't want to go to a shop and ask "do you have an expander and they look at me like i'm crazy.

They expand the joint to 3". The core is still 2.5"

So you go from a 3" diameter tube to a 2.5" to a 5" tip... Rice!

Originally posted by MNGSX
They expand the joint to 3". The core is still 2.5"

So you go from a 3" diameter tube to a 2.5" to a 5" tip... Rice!

Na.. I said to him i don't want them to just make the inlet 3inches and still have the guts 2.5. He told me that they expand the whole thing to 3inch all the way thru.

Expander? That gives me an idea.

Check out jcw.com (JC Whitney) part #81sb5771t and #81sb5772a these are long pipe expansion tools. It might be used to enlarge any necked down inlets and outlets, such as the stock downpipe outlet, too.

I may get one of those to try to fab up some UICP's for a GM MAFT. Good find!!!!

There is no way to expand it to 3" all the way thru..

You can get magnaflow and flowmaster in 3" 3.5" and 4"...

The larger ones are mostly designed for big blocks and diesel trucks that have 4" factory... I know someone with 4" duals on a diesel...

If you want a 4" canister just go to a sportbike muffler...

I still dont know WTF you guys are thinking.

Hey great idea! I didn't even think about fabbing up a MAFT pipe with it. I bet it could be used to make slip fit joints for exhaust pipes, too. Hmmm, what else could it do?

thats ghetto, you can order 4" stainless steel piping. i dunno about a muffler tho, i wouldnt wanna cramp an expander in one until its 1" bigger inside.

I was thinking of getting a 3 inch downpipe but now I wanna get a 3.5 downpipe. Would I make more horses?

ill make some 3.5" downpipes BUT, it will have a 3.5" outlet, with my very own custom flanges on there (cnc cut) so you guys will have to figure it out from there, unless u really want a full 3.5" exhaust i guess ill make it all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back