The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

3" muffler flange won't clear crossmember.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintballaa5

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2012
Houston, Texas
Unfortunately, I had to settle on the SRS catback. And right now I'm trying to get the muffler and pipe to go above the crossmember, but the flange at the end is just to big to fit through. Now I'm not sure if it being a spyder has anything to do with it or not, but is there anyway you can fit it up in there?

And by the looks of the hangers, i don't believe its supposed to go under the crossmember.

Pictures of the muffler would help in determining if the exhaust goes over or under the crossmember. I can tell you from experience that with my exhaust that the muffler flange was very difficult to get over the crossmember. I had to remove the rear wheel to help get the correct angle to get the flange to fit. I also had to jack the rear end way up as high as I could get it.

Last edited:
it does in fact go over it i ran into the same problem you can either hammer up where the spare tire sits put the exhaust in and hammer it back down or disasemble things and get it over the top it is a painful process to get done but it does in fact go over the top of the rear crossmember

Alright guys, got it in. It just took pulling the wheel. Doh! :ohdamn:
I got a better angle on it, and gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet. Went right in.

Now all I need is a buddy to hold it up while I mount it on LOL.

are you sure you have to go above the rear crossmember? i have 3" exhaust and I thought the same thing till someone told me that it goes underneath the rear cross member not over

with the style that he has yes he needs to go above it i have generallty the same exact style just a different vendor and that was the only way to run it

good job on getting it in there the previous owner arleady decided to hammer away at my spare tire section so i never ran into this problem wish he took the time to look and think for a second instead of just hammering away :mad:

with the style that he has yes he needs to go above it i have generallty the same exact style just a different vendor and that was the only way to run it

good job on getting it in there the previous owner arleady decided to hammer away at my spare tire section so i never ran into this problem wish he took the time to look and think for a second instead of just hammering away :mad:

I spend more time undo-ing the previous owner(s) "work" on mine than anything LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back