The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2.4 split thrust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWOpointFORliter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2009
Crown Point, Indiana
So I am looking to have another 2.4 built since my last one sent the rod through the block. I’ve always read and understood that all 63 and 64’s post mid 97 are split thrust blocks. I ordered a block from miller imports to have built and he has informed me that all 3 of the blocks he has pulled from 98+ spyders have NOT been split thrust blocks. Is the split thrust 64 a myth or does he just happen to have 3 98 spyders without the original engines?

Mid 97 is when they made the switch on the 63’s. Can anyone confirm they actually have a 64 split thrust?

Well I guess I will just keep searching then. I have the money and all my other parts for my build. Only thing I am lacking is the block. It’s becoming frustrating trying to find one. I want my car back on the road!!!

What about the 2.4 from a 3g eclipse? Did those have split trust bearings? Mitsu didn't mirror the 4g64 block like they did with the 4G63, only the head (starter on a 3g eclipse is in front under the exhaust manifold), so it should mount in a DSM right?

I was also under the impression the split thrust bearing change for the 4G63 came midway through the 98 model year. edit: i was wrong on the date, for a 4g63 CAPS lists build dates > week 1 of June '97.

Similarly, 4G64 lists the same change in June of '97, so a Spyder with an engine built later than June of '97 SHOULD have split-thrust.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back