The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1g base 4g37

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex darden

Probationary Member
May 6, 2017
pensacola, Florida
This engine has been beat on countless times by me but i have always kept up regular maintenance. but one day driving home from work i was downshifting to slow down and then pop. i turned off power but kept the key in for steering as i approached a green light still rolling about 30mph i turned now only about only a mile away from my neighborhood. i knew i wasnt going to make it all the way so i pulled into a parking lot right after the turn. from there i was freaked out, it was the only time my car had failed me. i tried starting it, it was weird the car started even though the timing was crazily off and i didnt know any better and i tried to drive it like that and it didnt work. i was calling people frantically luckily one friend with a truck came and hooked up a tow rope and towed me to my house. the following day i began my investigation knowing it was a timing issue i proceeded to remove belts and eventually the timing belt cover and from that i could see that the belt was rubbing against it and it rubbed a hole through it and then i noticed a bunch of metal ball bearings at bottom of the cover covered in grease and the belt tensioner completely off the shaft. after seeing it was a timing issue i then worried about the head and valves but luckily the valve strokes arent long enough to collide with the pistons so my wallet was saved. after getting a new belt, belt tensioner, and reseting the timing i did a compression test and that was when i learned that everything was alright. i then reassembled everything and i drove around and have been driving since and no issue.

i know this isnt a tech article but i just want some of yall to realize the dependability of the 4g37, and want to know if there is any mods to make more power. ive read about turboing it but the article is a little old now and was curious if there was anything more up to date and simpler than that article. or engine swaps i dont really want to go with the 4g63 since i already have a gsx now. hopefully this gets read and i can get some help

My first DSM was a 1.8. Great gas mileage, and incredible reliability as you mentioned. The motor just was not designed for power, and any attempt to generate massive amounts of power is futile. Just do your maintenance and enjoy the reliable car you have.

I wish that I could find a 4g37 equipped DSM to get the best possible fuel economy. You don't know how lucky you are as is.

Funny thing for me....im driving a relatively low cost long since paid for vehicle. I dont really care what kind of mileage it gets with no car payments.

Different strokes for different folks. Fuel economy is just a hobby for me. Although it becomes important during mega-commutes. All of my 6+ vehicles are paid for. They all have their own purpose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back