The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build 1995 Eclipse GS-T back from the dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85Entropy

Probationary Member
Jun 25, 2017
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Figured I'd start a build thread, so here we go!

A few months back, I purchased my 2nd DSM, a 1995 Eclipse GS-T, for $1000. It did not run, the owner thought that maybe a piston skirt had broken off, so he shut it down as soon as it started making bad noises. Anyway, I towed it home, and this is what it was when I bought it:
20170502_070836.jpg

20170502_070812.jpg
20170502_070824.jpg
20170504_192219.jpg

20170504_192248.jpg

It was a clean shell, if nothing else, plus it came with 2 large boxes full of parts, basically everything that attaches to a 7 bolt 4G63, and a straight hood and front bumper that was in decent shape. Already slightly modified, it had:

-FMIC
-3" Intercooler piping
-Big 16G turbo
-Digital (though cheap) boost and oil pressure gauges
-Some kind of BOV
-"Awesome" racing style muffler welded to stock exhaust

More to come, but this was the starting point.

Last edited:
Next up, disassembly.

Knowing something was wrong with the engine, I started taking it apart in pieces. When I had some downtime, I'd remove a few pieces or connectors, label everything, try to make so I could put it back together one day without too much swearing and weeping!
20170521_193021.jpg

20170521_193025.jpg

Many days later, the engine and transmission were pulled, and it was time for disassembly.
20170624_155124.jpg

20170624_155238.jpg

Once the transmission was removed and the engine was on it's stand, I removed the valve cover, camshafts, and head bolts.... Unbelievably clean.
20170723_194754.jpg

Next, I flip the engine over, and remove the oil pan. Not nearly the carnage I was expecting, just a few copper flakes on the pickup tube. I pulled the baffle, the end caps off the connecting rods, and finally the pistons and rods. No damage to the rods, pistons, or cylinder walls.... Nice. In the end, it was a spun bearing on cylinder #1, and one scratch on the corresponding crankshaft lobe.
20170624_203113.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a knock-off Greddy BOV. Wouldn't bet on the 16g being an MHI unit with all the other "cheap" mods. Looks like a good car to start on though.

The mods were definitely done on the cheap, but I plan to remedy all of that! I never questioned the turbo until you mentioned that, but with a bit of research, it does seem like it might be a knockoff.... Has a cheap looking identification plate on it. In any case, it seems to be in ok shape, so I'll come back to that at the end. Also, couldn't help but notice you're also in Colorado Springs. Is there still a DSM croud, here?

Last edited:
Years ago I bought a 16g through Amazon from a place called Godspeed. I though it'd be decent quality since it wasn't ebay. I was so wrong. It failed on the first start up. I found a GSX here that I'm going to be buying and it has a 16g style turbo, but the current owner doesn't remember what turbo it actually is, so I'll find out once I buy it.

I didn't notice you were here as well. I've been back here since '08. There's some, but no one really does anything together. A couple years ago I tried getting DSM guys together, but it was very short-lived. However, I've always loved these cars and working on them, so if you ever need a hand, just let me know.

I really appreciate that! I may actually take you up on that once I start reassembling the engine block, if you wouldn't mind. My first turbo anything was a 1990 Talon TSI about 12 years ago, and I've had a Supra and a couple of RX-7s since then, but I've wanted another DSM since I sold the first.

Yeah, whenever you need to help. I've rebuilt plenty of these engines, and I'm sure I'll build many more. I'm on my 6th 2g, which unfortunately is a 420a car, but the trans broke, so now I'm in the process of buying #7, a 95 GSX.

Ok, so I took the crankshaft to get machined, they said it probably needs to go .20 over. The #4 rod bearing was also about to go, too, upon closer inspection. Bought a set of Evergreen OEM style rods so the entire rotating assembly can have a nice, fresh start, and I'm going to replace the wrist pins, too. I'm on the fence about the pistons.... They look good, but at this point everything else will essentially be new, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on that?

Getting closer, maybe I can have this running by years end!

Does anyone know where I can find a used FWD LSD?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back