The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 15" wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2018
St-Jerome, QC_Canada
Hey guys,

On my 1G i have a set of lightweight 15" wheel. bought the car as a roller shell and tire a shot.

As i need a new set of tire, should i stay with the 15" wheel (if so, what size of tire), or should i go back with oem size (16") or if there is any benefit for 17" wheel.

I do not plan to drive the car a lot, like few time in the weekend and mayby 3-4 time a the track per year.
Im more looking for a good ride quality with a good set of performance tire. So function over form.

Thx!

So there are the looks of them, you didn’t really comment on whether you are interested in that. Many will have opinions (I really like my original 90gsx turbine aka cheese slicer 16’s). Then there is function. Performance tires are moving in the direction of larger diameter rims. Still lots of good rubber for 16”, even more for 17’s. 15” is sort of a legacy size, though there are still plenty of quality mfr’s supporting it with performance all-season and some summer-only compounds. Since you don’t drive a lot (I assume in good weather), and you want some track cred (drag? Road course?), I bet you can find a good set for that on 15”. Save the money on rims and get the best tires you can. Consider also whether any suspension components are getting worn, those can affect handling as much.(struts, tie rod ends, control arms/ Bushings).

Think 15’s look goofy. I say 16x7 or 17x7 look the best. Could even go 7.5 wide

Yeah right now with the worn out tire, there is so much sidewall, it is looking weird.
I think i'll look for a set of 16" or 17" wheel.

As for suspension components, everything is new, it should handle well :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back