The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

12's finally! A testiment to IPT transmissions! Time and money well spent folks!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theboogieman

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2002
First off thank you John and the crew at IPT for the tranny work (awesome work guys)and secondly the DSM Shootout was a blast! Great times there man! ;) Here is my rundown of events and final times and 60' and MY tranny story that some had heard before (except the new times). I am stoked as hell and this is long so be forwarned.

Well I had pulled a 13.3 on my stock tranny at Beaver springs when our club rented the track for the day, so quite alot of practice runs that day to say the least and 13.3 was the best. I also had 116 race gas in the car running 22 psi. This was about 2 years ago. That day also kinda fried my stock tranny so we put all Level 10 products in there and blew it at Maple and ran a 18. OUCH! I do not fault my tranny tech either but rather some of the parts that were used were faulty from factory and it was evident when taken apart after just one run. These were Alto Red clutches/frictions they use in the rebuild kit. They fell apart while building boost at the line and it went kaboom partway down the track...hello 18 seconds and an ass kicking to the wallet! :cry:

I then had the tranny totally rebuilt and FULLY built by John at IPT once I heard of them. Talke to John a few times a figured I felt completely safe with this shop and the work. Even drove a few hours to meet him. This man did a thourough job guys! I have posted this in the past when it was rebuilt how happy I was just running the streets but just NEVER had the chance to get to the track and test the tranny for new times and a time slip. My engine mods 6 months after having the car has been the same for 3-4 years and nothing has change except taking out the balance shafts, and the IPT tranny work. All engine mods/port work etc...were performed by Stemar Motorsports btw. His work has held up all this time as well. Check www.carbonwerks.com under shop car for my engine mods.

Anyhow, what could be better than making it to the Shootout to test this damn tranny out! Not much in my opinion!!! This was a definitely cool time! Econo Lodge is all I am saying.
Well we went with hopes of taking that 13.34 down to at least a 12.99 with just the tranny work done alone. We where only running 111 octane this time instead of 116. That could be hopeful thinking and seem unlikely to some especially on a sm16. I entered in the DSM Eliminator class knowing I wouldn't make it into the second round but at least I would get a slip and nice time I would hope.

Staged up the first time ( I am nervous as hell knowing I all my buddies are there too and the DSM community as well). Anyhow, staged and built up around 4000 rpms or so, and cut this:
RT .627
60' 1.85
1/4 13.14
mph 104.48

I was happy but it was not the greatest. Just barely off the old time and I though that was a fairly good run for my car I felt. The tranny was snappy as hell and the run seemed solid. Is that all it had after all that work and money spent on my tranny! :( Well while in the staging lanes for the next round Dave Buschur told me I was out of the eliminator class cause of no back seat and some other stuff i could really hear, understandable.

So I quickly re-entered into Bracket 1 like Dave said to do and my buddy quickly wrote 12.88 on the window saying that was safe and my car would probally never bust that time out. Cool! I never have bracket raced before so the concept was a little new for me but I understood the deal fairly well. Just don't go over that time plus my car didn't have that in it anyhow. Ran this:
Dail in @ 12.88
R/T 1.00 (ouch)
60' 1.90
1/4 12.94
MPH 106.60
with the win over a 13.6! Holy crap I just made 12s on my new tranny!!! Hee hee. Felt like a kid. Some can relate to breaking the 12s for the first time maybe and how it feels after spending so much time and money to reach a goal.

Well that sure felt alot more powerful to say the least! Power to the ground felt nice and well delivered alll the way down the track. I had to get in the staging lanes again...
Dail in @ 12.88 (figuring that would be safe as ever)
R/T .902
60' 1.86
1/4 12.76
mph 106.09
I am grinning like a feind now!!! Holy crap I had gotten better than a 12.9 and this freaking tranny was shifting like a pervert looking for a quick jerk!!!! Holy gezzus John this tranny was on time as ever. The other guy red lighted so even though I busted my dial in time I still advance, but I would have been happy with that time regardless.

Next round I dail in again a newer number since the car is getting stronger and stronger!
Dial in @ 12.70
R/T .770
60' 1.90
1/4 12.72 (busted my time but the other guy red lighted, whew)
MPH 106.09
with the win!

Well by now I am in the money and def' getting a trophy. The track was down due to a storm front coming in and an oil spill being cleaned up from a run after me. So we sat a bit knowing the colder weather would be helpful. We dialed in 12.65 thinking this would be low enough to keep me from bustn' out. I could shoot for 1st or 2nd place trophy my first time competing in Brackets. Ran this finally when the totals came in,
Dail in @12.65
R/T .956
60' 1.78
1/4 12.48 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MPH 108.19
Holy crap folks...this transmission and engine kept getting stronger and handled it all the way down the track!!! The torque with each shift was amazing So I lost that round but still placed 3rd and STILL set a personal record with a 12.48

So ask yourself the next time you need tranny work done if IPT should be your choice for parts or work.
Final thought on IPT? Well,
Daily driven for about a few months
driven 1400 miles to the shootout
Runs a 12.48 @ 108
drives 1400 miles home
Not one single problem!!!
hmmmmmmm?????
No question! www.importperformancetransmissions.com!!!!
Thanks again John and i am happy that I reached my goal! I had a 1.06 on my 02 reading that last run so i could have turned up the boost or leaned oit out alot and probally pulled a lower time!!! No doubt at all in my mind now. Time to port the head, and do a few other things in there and get this sm16g in the 11s!!!!!!

Leo

My bad, only one time in the beginning I busted my time but the guy red lighted. The rest were straight up wins except the last.
None the less I still was happy with my final time! :)
Leo

Congrats Leo :thumb:

Gaining almost a full sec with some tranny work is sick!

PS hopefully the Machv board will be back up soon so you can let everyone else know ;)

CanadianTSi said:
Congrats Leo :thumb:

Gaining almost a full sec with some tranny work is sick!

PS hopefully the Machv board will be back up soon so you can let everyone else know ;)

Thanks for the props! Yeh, I was really amazed with the 12.48! I seriously thought a 12.6 at the most that last run. I will be trying for 11s really soon. I didn't tune at all while there. Just race gas and upped the boost...left the AFC alone. Was running 1.09 on 111 so I think alot more was in the car for some lower times. Thanks again though and I hope this helps a little for us AT owners that are considered slow.
Leo

I was there!
First time I saw Leo run i was like "ooh, finally an A/T"
Couple guys I with were very impressed seeing you run 12's, had a newfound respect for the slushbox :)
I was wondering if you had any tranny work done, now I know, LOL.
Too bad I didn't get any of your runs on video, only had limited memory on my digital cam... damn I need a camcorder.
Can't wait til I have enough cash together for a rebuild, hopefully I'll join ya next year on the track :thumb:

12's, nice :)

And to think I just bought a 92 tranny, xfercase, and 4 bolt rear out of a 5 speed for a swap..

Owell, I didnt have almost $4k to spend on a tranny rebuild, TC and shipping :(
Getting TRE to rebuild this 5speed tranny for $1000..

Sure wish i could have afforeded a built A/T, I really wanted to keep my car A/T...

Congrats on the run man.

I will have video of of few peoples runs and mine on the web site along with lots of pics. I will post a link to the video when I get it compiled and uploaded. I think I have enough bandwidth. I met soooo many folks there....def' going next year for sure!!! Thanks for the props to guys.
Leo
w1kk3d said:
I was there!
First time I saw Leo run i was like "ooh, finally an A/T"
Couple guys I with were very impressed seeing you run 12's, had a newfound respect for the slushbox :)
I was wondering if you had any tranny work done, now I know, LOL.
Too bad I didn't get any of your runs on video, only had limited memory on my digital cam... damn I need a camcorder.
Can't wait til I have enough cash together for a rebuild, hopefully I'll join ya next year on the track :thumb:

that is badass but ur mod list is gone...I really want to know what mods u have on ur ride. besides the IPT tranny.

What torque converter are you running on your car boogie?

Congrats. John is in the process of building my trans now, hopefully I can post some similar response in time drops.

Mike

and I'm spent....

Can't wait to get some work done on my trans now, you bastard. :p you have made me jealous

What coverter are you running? TThe stock trayy really shouldn't give you problems. We are running 10.9s on a stock tranny with a $20 trans lab shift kit and a 3200 stall coverter.

Any idea what kind of milage your getting?

Me? Well it has never been good even before the tranny work. I have always been heavy footed and stay in the throttle quite often so I never really tallied my gas mileage up. :(

My stall speed is somewhere around 3500-3800 and I drive this car EVERYDAY! Took just some minor geting use too but I have no problems.

Quite honestly when I first did the Level 10 rebuild I DID NOT really need it but had the money to did it, so figure why not? Probally won't have the extra funds to do it another time. At that time I already had the end clutches and and valve body done and it was fine. Of course the Level 10 job sucked and hence I DID have to do it ALL again with IPT which has been golden!!! Love that tranny shop!

Leo

Mr96GSX408 said:
What torque converter are you running on your car boogie?

A remanned one from ProTorque. When John did the tranny rebuild he did cut it open to make sure it was not the cause of problems and it was fine so it went back in the car. Of course a billet IPT number will go in there at a later date when this one goes out if ever.
Leo

JohnTSI said:
What coverter are you running? TThe stock trayy really shouldn't give you problems. We are running 10.9s on a stock tranny with a $20 trans lab shift kit and a 3200 stall coverter.

I take it that ur cars not a daily driver..My car was totally done up by level 10..Once I put a 60-1 turbo in the tranny lasted 500 miles.. Just ordered the whole IPT kit from John so hopefully that thing will hold up for me.

LEVEL 10 :thumbdown

boogieman, any idea how many lbs min you were flowing to run that 12.4? I imagine if I could get the same flow with the same trans it would give me a good idea at my times. I'd like to be trapping 110+ with the acception of 91 octane. Any turbo suggestions?

14.5 drift said:
boogieman, any idea how many lbs min you were flowing to run that 12.4? I imagine if I could get the same flow with the same trans it would give me a good idea at my times. I'd like to be trapping 110+ with the acception of 91 octane. Any turbo suggestions?

No idea really. :( I can see if I have an old log from a few weeks ago and see if it was recorded...also the car was logged with 93 octane. Ran the 12.4 with a mix of 93 and 111.
Leo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back