The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

IPT Performance Transmissions End Clutch Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks.

Probably could have been a little better. This was my first attempt at a YouTube video (making it, editing, etc.), but at least it tells how to do it correctly.

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
IPT on Facebook

I am fixing to redo my end clutches next week and this vid is exactly what I needed to see. Wish you had a full blown how to on the actual trans rebuild.

If I didn't have a shop do the end clutch and shift kit for me I would definitely try it myself now.

Good stuff!:thumb:

Its certainly alot easier to follow a video than it is to look at still pictures..Thanx for helping us rookies out :hellyeah:

Great video John! You guys did my automatic 7 years ago on my 2nd DSM, if I start doing mods to the new GSX you would be with out a doubt the first and only shop I would go to!

Was it as easy as his video? Did you buy the performance end clutch?

Hey John what are the chances of getting a video of the valve body install, shift kit, or any of your other performance parts?

IPT is the shit! What's next for a video? A whole transmission rebuild filmed in IMAX and transferred to 1080p would be awesome!

Hey John what are the chances of getting a video of the valve body install, shift kit, or any of your other performance parts?

John's stated intention IIRC is to start making several of these videos which I believe would include the valve body and shift kit installs. I have no idea if his experience in making the first has changed his mind at all.

The advice I would like to give though in case you do this before a video for valve body removal comes along is not to remove the solenoids from the valve body while still attached to the car. You'll put stress on the wiring, possible drop the valve body, and undoubtedly swear a lot. The vfaq and plymouthlaser.com both show doing it that way and it is wrong. Instead follow the wiring for the solenoids (very front of the transmission) out toward the battery and unhook the wiring there. Then go ahead and use a flat bladed screwdriver to bend the ears of the plug in the transmission housing in and push the plug through. The solenoid wiring is designed to do this so that you don't have to balance a valve body on a flower pot to get it out.

John, I haven't had time to actually watch the video but thanks so much for working to make easy to understand visual directions for these things. I would never make the mistake now but when I first owned my dsm I threw away $600 on failed end clutches by taking it into a shop. Hopefully this will save some people from being taken advantage of on a simple repair.

Yes, I was installing the IPT end clutch kit.

Getting the snap ring back on was a PITA, but otherwise, it wasn't bad at all. I didn't have any kind of wheel bearing race or anything else like that to compress the return spring, so I ended up using 3 c-clamps - it was very tricky and that alone took me more time than everything else combined. Someone needs to find a snap ring that actually has holes in it so that the snap ring pliers work better. I also greased everything up with vasoline during reassembly which really prevented a lot of problems (makes all the parts stick together and keeps the seals from tearing). Another trick that I figured out is that when installing the piston with the seals on it, it is easier to turn the drum upside down and push the piston in upside down. When you install it with the drum right side up, it always wants to go in crooked, and I think that is what tears the seals. When doing it with the drum upside down, gravity keeps the piston straight on your finger tips.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back