The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What supporting mods should I get before nitrous?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

definitiveno

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 8, 2004
Reno/Sacramento, California
I have a genuinly stock car at the moment. A few days ago my trans took a dump on me so i decided to order a billetn torque converter from IPT, as well as a valve body kit and some other rebuilding parts. My engine is still stock, drive line, exhaust, every thing.

I Think the bottom end is solid until 400 whp, most dyno 180 or so without modification.......how big of a shot can the block take?

What mods are a necesity to run nitrous? I was thinking just a full exhaust and a cam would be all i really needed to stay safe, maybe dsmlink to moniter what's going on. Not sure how big of an O2 housing will fit a 14b though.

So far I like the ZEX and nitrous express wet kits. I am a total newb about this stuff. If there is any thing I am missing or not thinking of let me know. Flame suite on :thumb:

Thanks,
defno

Technically you don't need any mods for nitrous they are designed to run on a stock car. Your car is turbo so I would just recommend a few exhaust mods (dump o2 housing) to keep the turbo from creeping really badly and a descent boost gauge and controller.

You need to run a wet kit for sure and NX is the best one I have worked with.

I was able to get the NX Mainlin EFI Kit shipped to my house for $337.00 www.streetdemand.com
-I spent about $300 in gauges. I have a 1g N/T stock internal engine. I Have an intake and a full exhaust. While I have not installed the Kit yet It seems put together VERY well. I bought an oil temp gauge, and Air/Fuel ratio gauge, and EGT gauge, and a Nitrous pressure gauge, a a couple pods. Becasue I have stock internals I want to make sure I can moniter the engine as much as possible. There isnt really a very good logging system for 1g nt's yet. I have a laptop and want to get a logger on it. What i hope to do is great a computer add-on that will beep differnt sounds so I dont have to stare at the computer while im driving. Sounds tough but it is possible. Anyway off on a tangent, I would not go with zex jsut because NX gives you room to upgrade and they had the design before zex. Zex isnt bad, NX jsut seems to be leading the pack just a little bit.
-Ben

hmmmm, ive never really planned on running an external dump nor do I care to. After watching video's of other peoples cars it is really a turn off, that noise is overbearing.

I have been thinking of using a 3 inch 02 housing and a cheap home made 3.5 inch press bent exhaust. High flow cat, resonater, and a magna flow muffler to quiet things down a bit, and wanting to run a pretty large shot I guess external dump is some thing to consider. I Really really dont want to do that though.

definitiveno said:
hmmmm, ive never really planned on running an external dump nor do I care to. After watching video's of other peoples cars it is really a turn off, that noise is overbearing.

I have been thinking of using a 3 inch 02 housing and a cheap home made 3.5 inch press bent exhaust. High flow cat, resonater, and a magna flow muffler to quiet things down a bit, and wanting to run a pretty large shot I guess external dump is some thing to consider. I Really really dont want to do that though.

The reason I mention that is because your on the stock turbo which loves to creep. Nitrous makes turbos creep even more, so you have a combination thats gonna yield a lot of creep for sure. The external dump will totally eliminate that problem. If you port your O2 housing and do the exhaust your talking about and all is fine then your golden. If your still getting creep then try porting down the passage of the exhaust turbine towards the wastegate hole to straighten out the angle of the exit. If that doesn't work then it's O2 dump for you.

I understand why you dont want the noise. I have an external wastegate and I have the dump tube welded back into my exhaust system so I don't have to listen to the noise but having an external wastegate with electronic boost controller I have no creep issues at all.

is there a "limit" on a turbo to how much air you can pump through it? like if you put say 150 shot on my 13g, is it possible to like..."burn it up" or something? when it comes down to it. i would think nitrous is better than turbos power wise. and the torque figure you get from nitrous is crazy.

could i just hook up a 02 dump/cutout, get injectors/pump and throw on 150 shot?

not an expert but i thought i heard something along the lines of the turbo siezing up?? WTF
-Ben

Forget the turbo, a 150hp shot of nitrous will probably kill your stock engine. The rule of thumb is, not to exceed a 75hp shot on stock internals. You have to be careful with nitrous. Don't blow your engine, by trying to go too much too fast. That'll just be a reason for more ppl to jump on the "I Hate Nitrous" band wagon.

:talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back