The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tp pull the motor or drop the tranny??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastezz

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2002
5oneHO Oakland, The BAY, California
alright i ahve a small dillema alright, I planned on installing my new clutch and flywheel this weekend and thsi will be my third time dropping the tranny on this car, its getting kinda old i mean its not hard i can do a whole clutch job in 4 hours no problem its just the fact that I can do other stuff while the motor is out. SO i was thinking since my friend has nice big hoist he`ll let me borrow i could just pull the motor, theroretically it shouldnt be harder that taking the 4 motor mount bolts off the axles, drain the coolant and the oil, disconnect a bunch of plugs and a few coolant lines then just maneuver it out from there with the tranny bolted on, i imagine it would be a little difficult to position it back in the mount but its nothing i cant handle.

I plan to do this all in a saturday afternoon and all sunday.

My goals are to replace a slightley bent cam gear, a dented oil pan and seal up a gasket while its out. Not to mention new clutch and flywheel. Well let me know if you guys think this is smart time wise as i would like to have it back and running on sunday. I am not an ammature at this but the only time i have pulled a motor was when i pulled a blown motor out of my talon and i just pulled it out and dragged it on the ground, well let me know.

Ryan

if you think you have it in you, go ahead... i have pulled my motor in about 1 and a half / 2 hours quite a few times. You might run into somethings but i think it would be fine, as long as you know what you are doing.

Pulling out a motor is easy. After the first time, its a breeze. I've taken motors out 3 times in 4 hours due to a damn torque converter. I would probley only drop the tranny, the other stuff that you want to replace/fix arent that big of a deal (oil pan, etc.) You dont have to take the engine out for those. Dropping the tranny is probley going to be easier for you rather than taking out the whole engine.

Just a question, but when you are pulling the motor can you pull the tranny out with it, or does everyone leave it in the car when pulling the motor.

sadsm said:
Just a question, but when you are pulling the motor can you pull the tranny out with it, or does everyone leave it in the car when pulling the motor.
That is a very debatable question. As said above, If you have done it enough, pulling the tranny with the motor is a breeze. Some like to leave the tranny in while others find it easier to pull both at once and put back the same way. I personally can do a full swap with the tranny and motor in an afternoon. It really just depends on who you ask.
Mike

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back