The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] pull the motor or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsboost

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2008
New Bern, North_Carolina
Okay, here's my situation. A while back I stripped my timing belt and bent all 8 exhaust valves. I saw it as an opportunity to upgrade ( 1g head, bigger turbo, injectors, supporting mods . . . etc). I had everything about ready to put back together and figured since I'm already this far and in down time and I have an extra car to drive I might as well freshen up everything, new oil pump, water pump, balance shaft removal . . . etc. The problem is, even though I've been into dsms for 11 years the bulk of my hands-on know how is limited to basic bolt ons. I was hoping someone with a lot more experience in the motor itself could tell me if it's worth it to go ahead and pull the block since I already have the head off, or would it be less trouble just to do everything with the motor in? The answer seems simple, pull the motor, but since I've never done it I don't really know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Even though I have and extra 6 bolt. I just wanna clean everything up, replace seals and gaskets n whatnot. Also, another thought crossed my mind. My clutch was slipping with my old setup so I might as well replace that too.

IMO I would say to pull it. It is not that difficult at all with a cherry picker and an engine stand and then when you get it out your mini rebuild will be much easier and less stressful.

That's what I figured. I'll go ahead and pull the block. Now another question. Since I do have an extra 6 bolt and I already have the CAS rewired and the ECU pinouts changed to account for the injector signal inversion . . . etc (basically everything for a 1g head swap) how much more trouble would it be (if I'm gonna pull the motor anyway) to go ahead and swap the 6 bolt block too? Or should I just use the 1g rods with my 2g pistons. I can get them machined for about $80 through a friend at a machine shop.

Find yourself a transverse bar at your local parts store.. I think they cost about 50 bucks but man they make puling the 4g63 a snap~! It saves ya from having to try and move the cherry picker and engine by hand.. Also saves the paint from getting scratched while pulling or installing~!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back